• Taster flights last 15 to 20 minutes
• Flight times quoted are 'chock to chock', ie. from when the aircraft starts to taxi, to when it switches off at the end of the experience
• You will have a briefing before you fly
• Some flying schools will also include a personalised certificate
• Note: Two seater flights in Oxfordshire and Stratford-upon Avon take place in a powered glider and if conditions allow, part of the flight will include a demonstration of the gliding characteristics of the aircraft
What Can I Expect
Get a head for heights with these fun tasters at a flight school near you, with these best value nationwide deals! If you’re looking for a short, but sweet taster lesson in aeronautics, then we’ve got a flying school to suit you that offers a 15 to 20 minute blast that will delight anyone who has never flown in a private plane before.
Each session starts with a safety briefing and your instructor will demonstrate the controls. Every flying school we use is CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) approved, so you can be guaranteed the best quality tuition no matter where your flight path takes you. The instructor will also remain with you for the duration of your flying time, navigating the tricky take-off and landing sections as well as giving you guidance and advice during your time as captain.
All lessons take place in a two-seater light aircraft. The aircraft you’ll use during your flight varies depending on the school you attend, but the sort of the planes you might end up sitting in are a Cessna 152 or a Piper, both of which are ideally suited to educational and flight training courses and are used at schools throughout the world, whilst at Oxfordshire it is actually a powered glider you'll be using.
As you’ll be sitting up front with one of the school’s instructor pilots, you really get a feel for what flying is all about. You’ll also get the chance for some high-altitude sightseeing at the start and end of the flight, where the instructor will take charge, but once you’re at cruising altitude then it’s your turn to take the controls and, albeit briefly, become a real pilot!
Each school offers an individual flying experience, so you could take wing over an iconic landmark, an area of beautiful countryside, or even potentially negotiate a flight over your house, but one things for sure, each school will tailor the flight to the pupil. Some schools also present you with a certificate to recognise your aerial achievement at the end of your flying experience.
If you think you’ve got what it takes to be an airborne adventurer, then some quality time at a friendly flight school is the experience for you. Alternatively, if you think you’d like more airtime than a taster lesson provides, we’ve got a whole range of other flying lessons
on offer with flying schools around the UK.
• Weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• Trial flying lessons are dependent on favourable weather conditions
• Although time slots are allocated please be aware that aircraft lessons are subject to a number of factors which may potentially cause delay to your scheduled time. Whilst every effort will be made to help keep you on time we ask for a degree of latitude owing to the nature of flying, air traffic delays and weather considerations
• Minimum age is 14 years old
• Minimum height is 4'6", maximum 6'4"
• Maximum weight of 14 stone
• You will need to provide two forms of identity including a photo id, e.g. a passport, prior to their flying school lesson
• Friends and family are welcome to come to watch the aircraft taking off and landing from the school clubhouse or welcome area
• Different levels of facilities are offered, however most schools have a clubhouse providing toilets, viewing areas and refreshments
• All flying schools are Civil Aviation Authority approved
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Co Durham, Darlington
• Lincoln, Langworth
• Oxfordshire, Chipping Norton
• Oxfordshire, Bicester*
• Midlands, Coventry Airport
• Nottinghamshire, near Worksop
* The flights at Bicester use a powered glider aircraft