• Choose from a 2 seater Cessna 152 or 4 seater PA28
• After a welcome and introduction your instructor will talk you through the pre-flight checks
• Once airborne you will have the chance to take the controls and fly the aircraft
• All flight durations are from 'brakes on to brakes off'
What Can I Expect
Take off on your airway to success with these Flying Lessons from Sheffield Doncaster Airport! Whether your only previous experience of flying is on a big commercial airliner, or you're already a keen follower of aviation, these trial fights give you a real insight to what it's like to be captain of your own aeroplane.
With its official name of Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield Airport (IATA code DSA), this is a great place to take your first lessons, as you'll be flying from the UK's newest purpose built International Airport. Small enough to still be convenient and friendly, but big enough to have really good facilities, you will be a guest at the airport's on site flight training school.
The club is located right by the main terminal building, so you can really immerse yourself in the aeronautical world as the big jets taxi right by you for take off. After a warm welcome from the friendly flying team here at this Sheffield school, lessons commence with a briefing on the ground. This is the moment you'll be asked what you hope to achieve from your airtime, so now's the time to say if you have a particular flight path in mind.
Flight planned, you'll head out to the trainer plane sitting on the apron. As with all aerial sorties, you will do a 'walk around' of the aircraft with your pilot instructor before hopping in to the cockpit. Now, this is where the excitement really starts to build. As you're in communication with Air Traffic Control to secure a slot, you'll taxi to the runway. There's only one of them here at the Sheffield and Doncaster Airport, but it is immense at 2893m long and 60m wide - flying lessons here are positively oversized!
Don't be surprised then, if you find yourself waiting for a Boeing or an Airbus to come in before you head out - it's all part of the fun and we think it really adds to the atmosphere of these lessons, as you sit in your little aeroplane taking it all in. Talking of aircraft, this Sheffield flying school uses Cessnas and Pipers for their trial lessons and flight training, both simple, robust and easy for you to have a go at flying.
If you opt for the four seater Piper PA28 for your flying lessons out of Sheffield, you are welcome to invite a passenger to enjoy the aerial thrills of flying over Doncaster and South Yorkshire, as they join you for your lesson in the back seat of the plane. We think you'll find flying lessons at the bustling and bright Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield International Airport aspiring and inspiring!
• Experiences are available weekdays and weekends throughout the year, subject to weather conditions and availability
• Minimum age of 14 years old
• Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult on the airfield
• Photographic ID will be required on the day
Two Seater Restrictions
• Maximum weight 14 stone
• Maximum height 6ft 1 ins
Four Seater Restrictions
• Maximum weight 18 stone
• Maximum height 6ft 3ins
• Spectators are welcome to attend and watch participants in flight with plenty of great photo opportunities
• Participants of the four seater experiences are allowed to bring an interested observer (min age 14) who can observe the lesson from the rear seat (at the discretion of the flight instructor and subject to weather conditions)
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Doncaster, South Yorkshire