Trial Flying Lesson
• Choose from a 30 or 45 minute flight duration
• Welcome, introduction and briefing, including aircraft familiarisation, safety and introduction to the flying controls
• Once airborne you will have the chance to take the controls and fly the aircraft
• Flights are taken in either a 2 seater Cessna 152 or 4 seater 172
• All flight durations are from 'brakes on to brakes off'
• After your flight you will be presented with a certificate of flight
Landaway for Two
• A shared 45 minute flying lesson for two people with around 20 minutes flying each
• Enjoy one flight each at the controls and one flight as an observer
What Can I Expect
Chocks away for in-flight fun from Fenland Airfield! This flying school is owner operator of this airfield boasting four grass runways in the heart of the Lincolnshire fens, just a few miles from Spalding and Holbeach.
What we love about this Fenlands flying school is that it provides a friendly and relaxed place that welcomes pilots, would-be pilots and plane spotters alike. There’s always lots going on, with modern and vintage aircraft taking to the air. What’s more, we’re in unrestricted air space here, so you really do have the freedom of the skies round these parts.
This discrete little aerodrome at Holbeach St Johns hosts a fine fleet of club planes, including the two seater Cessna 152 and the four seater 172 version. For the 30 and 45 minute trial lessons both will be at your disposal and which plane you take off in depends on weight and whether you invite (for an additional fee payable locally) any observers to join you in the cockpit to see from close quarters what this flying lark is all about.
If you sign up for the land away experience, it’s a voucher for two people, so one of you gets to sit up front for the outward leg flying from Fenland, then after landing at a nearby airfield you then swap seats for the return sector back to base. That means you double up on the take off and landing manoeuvres and flight time, making it excellent value for money for any plane-mad duo.
As you might guess, being in the fens it's pretty flat, so once you’re airborne you can see for miles. And miles…and miles. In-land there’s Lincoln itself, whilst a easterly bearing from Fenland soon brings you to the Wash nature reserve, with the Norfolk coastline on the horizon too.
Indeed, it’s all very lovely as you look out the window, but you are here to learn how to fly one of these marvellous machines, so once take off is out of the way, the pilot will be handing the controls over to you and you’ll be practising the fine art of gently turning, climbing and descending the Cessna.
With your expert pilot handling the landing you’ll soon be taxiing back past the neat little ATC tower and back to base. After a debrief it might well be time to sample the legendary Fenlands fry up in the on-site clubhouse cafe to celebrate the first time you flew yourself over Fenland Airfield in a light aircraft!
• Experiences are available weekdays and weekends throughout the year, subject to weather conditions and availability
• Although time slots are allocated please be aware that aircraft lessons are subject to a number of factors which may potentially cause delay to your scheduled time. Whilst every effort will be made to help keep you on time we ask for a degree of latitude owing to the nature of flying and weather considerations
• Minimum age of 14 years old
• Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult on the airfield
Two seater guidelines*
• Maximum weight 14 stone
• Maximum height 6ft 1ins
Four seater guidelines*
• Maximum weight 16 stone
• Maximum height 6ft 3ins
* should you exceed the height or weight guidelines, please enquire for options
• Spectators are welcome to attend and watch participants in flight with plenty of great photo opportunities
• Up to two interested observers (min age 14) can observe the lesson from the rear seat (at the discretion of the flight instructor and subject to weather conditions) for an additional charge, payable when booking your date
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Fenland Airfield, Spalding, Lincolnshire