• Welcome, introduction and safety briefing
• Choose from a two or four seater flying lesson
• Your flight will last for 30 or 60 minutes depending on the voucher chosen
• Flight times are quoted 'chock to chock', ie. from when the plane starts to taxi, to when it switches off at the end of the lesson
• A certificate upon completion
What Can I Expect
Feel the wind beneath your wings on these Earls Colne airfield lessons in a light aircraft! A good range of lesson types and durations are offered at this very well-kept flying club on the edge of the lovely Earls Colne Golf and Country Club estate.
For a small aeroclub nestled between the quaint little villages of Earls Colne and Coggeshall, this club is big on runways, having not one but two grass and tarmac strips. This is because Earls Colne was purpose-built in the 1940s as a World War II bomber base airfield, first welcoming the USAAF and then the RAF. When it was sold off in 1955 the land returned to a mix of agriculture, offices and the fun business of flying.
Visitors who fly in to Earls Colne often comment on how well-maintained the whole airfield is, with recent investment in 2011 providing new hangars, pilot briefing rooms and more space for the Essex Air Ambulance that is also based at this easy to get to aerodrome just north of Colchester.
Led by Mick Manders, there is a good-sized team of flying instructors and dedicated ground staff at Earls Colne, so you will be able to take lessons flying out of the airfield on weekdays or weekends, throughout the year. Planes owned and operated include Cessnas, Robins, Rockwell Commuter an Alpha 120T and a TB10 - all much renowned in flying circles as they are robust, easy and thrilling to fly, whether it's your first time or you're a seasoned pilot.
So it's chocks aways at Earls Colne Airfield with lessons for all abilities and ages (the youngest a flyer can be is 14). All lessons include the opportunity for you to take control of the aircraft as you zoom over the rather lovely golf club and the likes of Deer Park, Lily and Marshall Woods. What's more, the airfield is free of controlled airspace, so you will be the King or Queen of the skies on these taster lessons from Earls Colne!
• Weekends and weekdays throughout the year
• Flights are weather dependent
• Minimum age for a lesson is 14 years old
• Minimum height is 4'6" - Maximum 6'4"
• Two seater lessons have a maximum weight limit of 15 stone
• Four seater lessons have a maximum weight limit of 18 stone
• Please bring two forms of identity including a photo id, e.g. a passport
• Friends and family are welcome to come and watch the take off and landing
• For four seater lessons it may be possible for a friend or family member, who is also interested in flying classes to sit in the back of the plane and listen in on headphones (min age 14). This is at the discretion of the instructor on the day
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Earls Colne Airfield, Essex