• Pre-flight safety briefing
• Route planning
• Your selected flight duration
• Includes a chance for you to take the controls during the flight
• Two seater landaways include 2 flights lasting around 40 minutes each, navigate to a nearby airfield, landing, refreshments and flight back to Durham Tees Valley
• Four seater flights usually allow the option of bringing passengers along (at pilots discretion)
• A certificate upon completion
What Can I Expect
Spread your wings and head into the skies over County Durham with this huge range of flights from Durham Tees Valley airport! Many tentative pilots have been trained by Eden flight training to become confident pilots, who have gone on to join the RAF, fly commercially, or just enjoy flying light aircraft as a hobby.
Based at Durham Tees Valley airport, which was formerly known as Teesside International Airport, this friendly flying school offers flights in two seater aircraft and four seater aircraft. Training takes place throughout the year, so there is plenty of time to book in for your lesson.
The Senior Flying Instructor based at this Durham Tees Valley flying school is Captain Mark Lee. He’s a working commercial pilot who drives those big jets, but he also absolutely loves taking newbies up for their first flying lessons out of Durham Tees. He’s joined by the likes of Benjamin, Salvador, Melanie and Si who are all equally passionate when it comes to flying.
Indeed, not only is Eden the only CAA Approved Training Organisation (ATO) at Durham Tees Valley, it’s also the only one in the whole of the North East, so you’re going to be in very capable hands for your flight training. Patience, enthusiasm and putting the student at ease in the cockpit before their flight is a given here at Durham Tees!
As for the planes, it'll be a Piper Tomahawk or Warrior. Statistically, more budding pilots have passed their flight training exams in a Piper than any other model of plane, not just in the Durham Tees area, but worldwide! That's why this flight training centre has chosen the reliable, robust Pipers for the training programme.
As well as the two seater Tomahawk aircraft, there's also the Warrior, which has two rear seats, so you can invite a friend to join you on your inaugural lesson. The sound proofing and car-like interior of this plane is often loved and appreciated by those who have never flown in a light aircraft before, as it feels very stable and more comfortable than most imagine.
Before getting airborne on these flights from Durham Tees Valley, your flight training commences on the ground with a safety briefing. Once the basic principles of flight and the controls have been explained to you, it's time to plan the route. Only then are you ready to head out onto the tarmac to enjoy a your lesson flying over the picturesque county of Durham.
• Flights operate seven days a week all year round
• Lessons are subject to weather conditions and availability
• Minimum age for lessons is 14
• Under 18s must be accompanied on the airfield by an adult
2 Seater Restrictions
• Maximum height is 6'4"
• Weight limit of 14 stone
4 Seater Restrictions
• Maximum weight 19 stone
• Maximum height 6'5"
• Friends and family are welcome to watch the take off and landing
• Good facilities in the flying school building including toilets
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Maximum passenger weight for four seater flights is 13 stone
• Durham Tees Valley airport (formerly Teesside International)
• South East of Darlington off the A67