• A Trial Flying Lesson in either a 2 seater Cessna 152 or 4 seater PA28
• Choose from a 20, 30, 40 or 60 minute flight duration
• Pre-flight briefing
• Once airborne you will have the chance to take the controls and fly the aircraft
• All flight durations are from 'engine start to engine stop'
• De-brief and certificate of flight
What Can I Expect
Take a direct flight path to Conington Airfield for a one to one flying lesson! Officially known as Peterborough Business Airport, Conington is well-placed in the middle of the Corby, Peterborough, Huntingdon triangle. And whilst holding a CAA Ordinary Licence, meaning the airport can operate flights for the public transport of passengers and flying instruction, it remains a relaxed and friendly place to fly.
There’s plenty going here though at Conington. The airfield is home to several flying clubs and flight operators, offers AvGas refuelling, hangarage and aero maintenance too. All this keeps Conington Airport ticking over quite nicely and makes for a good choice for your flying lessons too, especially those interested in the working world of general aviation.
The flying school here at Conington has a nice fleet of aircraft that are used for training and hire purposes, including Cessna, Piper and Beech planes. Flying lessons are mostly taken in one of the two seater Cessnas, or a four seater Piper PA28 - both absolute classics of the flight training world, with many a pilot having learnt to fly in one of these.
All lessons include a pre-flight briefing that’ll take place either in the plane or in one of the dedicated classrooms in the control tower block on the airport’s apron. Then it’s time for engine start up and the massive thrill of accelerating down the main 10/28 tarmac runway and getting airborne.
Learning to fly at Conington resonates in aviation history too, with the airport originally built as RAF Glatton in the early 40s. Home to USAF B-17 ‘Flying Fortresses’, the 457th Bombardment Group flew 237 missions and 7086 sorties in little over a year at the height of WW2. Housing nearly 3000 personnel, Glatton was certainly busier than today’s Conington Airport, but we think you’ll agree, we prefer peacetime aviation!
We are offering the full range of lesson durations at Conington Airfield, so all that you need to do is decide whether to go for 20, 30, 40 or 60 minutes of aviation. After that, it’s the turn of the expert pilot instructor to lift the lid on the wonders of flying, with views of the patchwork Peterborough countryside included as you fly!
• Experiences are available weekdays and weekends throughout the year, subject to weather conditions and availability
• Minimum age of 14 years old
• Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult on the airfield
• Photographic ID will be required on the day
• Two seater - Maximum weight 16 stone
• Four seater - Participants over 17.5 stone should call to discuss requirements
• Maximum height 6ft 3ins
• Spectators are welcome to attend and watch participants in flight from the conservatory with plenty of great photo opportunities
• Participants of the four seater experiences are allowed to bring an interested observer (min age 14) who can observe the lesson from the rear seat (at the discretion of the flight instructor and subject to weather conditions and weight restrictions)
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Hot and cold snacks can be purchased onsite between 11am and 3pm
• Although time slots are allocated please be aware that aircraft lessons are subject to a number of factors which may potentially cause delay to your scheduled time. Whilst every effort will be made to help keep you on time we ask for a degree of flexibility owing to the nature of flying, air traffic delays and weather
• Peterborough Business Airfield, Holme, Peterborough