• Welcome, introduction and safety briefing
• Choose from a 30, 45 or 60 minute flying lesson with a fully qualified instructor in a four seater aircraft
• Hands on experience between take off and landing
• Flight times quoted are chock to chock
• A certificate of achievement to take home
What Can I Expect
If you're in the south west of the country and want to take to the skies, these Compton Abbas Flights are not only great value, but offer all the thrills of flying lessons over the Dorset countryside in a four seater aircraft that are hard to beat!
Compton Abbas has been owned and run by the Hughes family since 1987, when owner Clive decided to leave behind the bustle and hassle of commercial flights in the capital, to come to sleepy Dorset and set up a small and friendly school offering club flying and lessons too. Now all the family work here to make your experience as fun and convivial as possible, especially if it's your first time in a light aircraft.
And what a choice of venue for your inaugural flight - Compton Abbas has one 803m long grass runway that sits proudly at 800ft above sea level, which means you get superb panoramic views of the rolling Dorset hills just from the restaurant terrace, so imagine what you can see from your privileged seat in the plane's cockpit!
What makes this aerodrome unique is that the family own and operate not only the airfield, but also the airspace around it. This means that for many who come to Compton Abbas for their trial flights, they can actually help plan the route - so if you live nearby you might be able to fly over your house, or pick which local sights (like Studland Bay, Old Harry's Rocks or Longleat) you'd like to see from the air.
Once you've decided where you're heading too, these flights taking off from Compton Abbas all start with a safety briefing out on the apron next to the plane. The school operates three Piper PA28 Warriors, all of which have four seats and you will be sitting up front next to your pilot. As soon as you're strapped in, you'll notice there is a control stick right in front of you - and yes, you will be using it. In fact, the aim of this school is that pupils spend as much time as possible during their lesson actually flying the plane over this most picturesque area of Dorset.
Compton Abbas flights operate 360 days of the year and you can choose between a 30, 45 or 60 minute flying lessons at this well-known Dorset school. There's a cracking team of pilot instructors here (most of whom are ex-BA) and you will just love having the chance to get airborne in a small plane. And don't forget, with the large terrace right on the edge of the runway, friends and family will love waving you off as you taxi off for you flight at cosy Compton Abbas!
• Available throughout the year on selected weekdays and weekends
• Minimum age 14
• All under 18s must be accompanied by an adult on the airfield
• Maximum weight limit is 20 stone
• Maximum height 6'4"
• An interested observer may join the flight and view the lesson from the rear seat for an additional charge of £15 payable on the day (at the pilots discretion)
• Spectators are welcome but will only be able to view the take off and landing
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Compton Abbas Airfield, Salisbury, Dorset