• A pre flight briefing
• Your pilot will fly you out of the airfield before giving you the chance to take the controls yourself
• 2 seater flights are taken in a Tomahawk aircraft, 4 seater flights are usually in a Warrior aircraft
• After the flight you will be presented with a personalised certificate
What Can I Expect
A small and friendly location for your flying lesson in Carlisle! Here's your chance to experience the exhilaration of flying at this family-run school and aeroclub based out of Carlisle Airport, with a trio of flight options available.
You will receive training in either a two seater Piper Tomahawk or a four seater Piper Warrior (depending on the voucher chosen) from expert instructors headed up by Chief Flying Instructor (CFI), examiner and owner Alan Rayson. Alan has clocked up many thousands of flying hours and loved his job teaching lessons so much, that he started this, his own school in Carlisle, with his wife Helen!
So what can you expect on the big day? After a warm welcome from the operations team, you will have a brief introduction to the light aircraft you'll be flying in, before your designated lesson instructor here at Carlisle helps you into the cockpit before running through the pre-flight checks. Once ready for take off you'll taxi along the tarmac runway, increase the speed and before you know it, the nose lifts up and you're smoothly climbing with the Cumbrian countryside falling away beneath you.
All aircraft used are dual-controlled, so once stable you will take control under the supervision of your instructor. In normal weather conditions you cruise at around 2000ft over Carlisle and depending on the duration of your lesson, you might be flying over such sights such as Hadrian's Wall, the Solway Coast and the stunning Lake District.
In essence, we think that if you take your flying lessons at Carlisle it's a great airport to fly from and this school is definitely one of the friendliest you'll find in the Cumbria area. At some point during your lesson you may even be lucky enough to meet a VIP member of the flying team here at Carlisle. His name is Farrokh and he loves feeling the wind beneath his wings and has completed hundreds of flying hours, but never at the controls…
• Flights take place on weekends and weekdays throughout the year, weather permitting
IntotheBlue offer a selection of nationwide
flying lessons at airfields and flying clubs around the UK.
• Minimum age is 14
• Maximum height is 6'4"
• Maximum weight is 14 stone for 2 seater aircraft
• 4 seater flights allow an additional guest (at pilots discretion) to accompany you on the flight, observing from the rear seat
• The maximum weight for a 4 seater flight is 25 stone (split if additional guests accompany)
• Photographic ID may be requested
• Spectators are welcome
• There is a Cafe at the airfield
• Nearby pubs can be recommended by the flying school
• Framed Photos of the experience can be purchased from the school for a fee of around £5.00
• The airport is also home to the Solway Aviation Museum which has a number of aircraft on display
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Carlisle Airport, Cumbria