• A specially tailored course to help you overcome your fear of flying in a plane
• A qualified pilot will explain how the aeroplane fly's and the procedures involved
• Gain an understanding of the noises that a plane makes and what happens in emergencies
• An introduction to a typical flight using the flight simulator
• The course lasts around 2 hours
• Refreshments are included
• Sessions operate on a 1:1 basis
What Can I Expect
Are you or someone you know scared of flying? Does the thought of jetting off make you feel anxious? Having a phobia of flying can see you actively avoid travelling on planes, which means you could be missing out on holidays, visiting relatives abroad or even work-related trips overseas. Time to try our flying anxiety workshop.
These courses aim to banish your aviophobia, opening up a whole world of air travel to you. The first thing to say is that at no point do you actually leave the ground, as the entire course takes place at an indoor flight training facility, so there's no arrivals or departure terminal, no passport control and no endless waiting around, but what you will get is a very realistic experience in relaxed and calm surroundings, so you can concentrate on conquering your phobia.
The course is run by a commercial airline pilot. This isn't about hypnotherapy, more about training your mind through understanding of what flying involves and how to stay calm, all taught in a very positive and encouraging way.
As well as being wary about how a plane actually flies, passengers can also suffer bouts of acrophobia, where they get anxious about the height they are flying at, as we have difficulty coming to terms with the fact that we are at altitudes we just can't visualise when we talk of cruising altitudes of 35,000ft. Once again, this course will cover all that and a whole lot more.
After several chats, you will have the opportunity to experience a short journey in the simulator. At this point you will be able to watch and envisage the procedures that every pilot and first officer undertake in the cockpit whilst passengers in the cabin are getting settled into their seats. This privileged viewpoint is perfect for helping you to encounter, understand and overcome the various noises a plane makes before, during and after flying.
And yes, whilst air travel is still an amazing feat of aero engineering most of us will never fully comprehend, this workshop certainly demystifies the everyday goings on during your typical scheduled flight on a modern airliner. It's a great help to those who dread flying and hopefully by the end of the day you'll be ready to book those tickets and get airborne in complete serenity.
• Selected weekday and weekend dates throughout the year, subject to availability
• No age, height or weight restrictions apply
• Participants must not be under the influence of alcohol
• This experience is not suitable for those with heart, neck or back problems or motion sickness
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Henley in Arden, Warwickshire