• A 40 minute flight in a 1943 classic Tiger Moth open cockpit biplane
• Welcome, safety briefing and instruction by a CAA registered instructor/pilot
• A flying suit is provided
• Excellent views of Devon Countryside
What Can I Expect
Sign up for a superb Sunset Patrol aerial excursion when you book onto these biplane flights in Devon! This is your chance to re-live the drama and aerial excitement of these much-loved biplanes as you head out, ideally in the late afternoon/early evening as the sun is setting, from Eaglescott Airfield near Umberleigh, to fly along the beaches used by the American Forces in preparation for D-Day.
These beautiful aircraft were first produced in the 1930s, with this particular Moth, G-AHUF, having been built in 1943 by Morris Motors at Cowley. Having since been lovingly restored and renovated, she now flies in the bright yellow RAF trainer yellow livery. Indeed, this was the RAF’s training aircraft of choice, in the cockpits of which countless heroic pilots became aviators. Now it’s your turn to feel the thrill of flying one of these striking biplanes.
Your flight from this Devon airfield starts with a safety talk, where your instructor will explain the basics of flying a traditional tail-wheel plane. Because the Tiger Moth has an open tandem cockpit, you’ll also need the right gear – overalls, hat and, of course, the legendary flying goggles. You'll also have an intercom and headset so you can talk to the pilot sitting behind you and to be able to listen in to what's going on. Once you’re all suitably kitted out, you’ll head onto the apron where this flight experience truly begins.
Chock to chock, you get a 40 minute flight in this magnificent biplane. You’ll take in the North Devon beaches, looking down on those rocky cliffs and sandy beaches below.
Your instructor will act as pilot for take-off and landing, but if you’d like to make this adventure as realistic as possible, then you can take over the controls for a short period of time - just like hundreds of trainee Air Force pilots before you.
We think these biplane flights in Devon are the perfect way to experience the iconic Tiger Moth at its aeronautical best, especially if you book in for the prime departure slot just before sunset. This is when the thermals have dropped, there’s often a lovely gentle on-shore sea breeze and it’s just the most glorious time of day to head up in the Devonshire skies!
• Available on weekdays and weekends from April to September
• All flights are weather permitting
• Minimum age nine with no upper limit
• All under 18's must be accompanied by an adult
• All participants under 18 must be able to see out of the cockpit, reach the controls and understand simple instructions given by the pilot/instructor
• Spectators are welcome to view take off and landing from a designated area
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• For comfort all participants are advised to take gloves
• Warm comfortable clothing should be worn along with soft soled shoes, trainers or walking boots
• Take off from Eaglescott Airfield in Umberleigh, Devon