• Your pilot will provide a preflight briefing lasting around 30 minutes
• A flying jacket and helmet will be provided
• The opportunity to take control and fly the aircraft yourself.
• Flight times are 'chock to chock'
• Experience superb views over Kent and Surrey including nearby Gatwick airport.
• After the flight you'll be presented with a personalised certificate as a reminder of your adventure.
What Can I Expect
What could be more befitting than flying a Tiger Moth plane at the historic home of the Tiger Club! Your experience takes place at Redhill Aerodrome and back in the heyday of civilian flying, this airport played a very pivotal role in the flying of Tiger Moths.
This airstrip in Surrey was the base of the famous Tiger Club between 1959 and 1990, where pilots honed their aerobatic and formation flying skills to put on impressive displays to wow the crowds all around the country, as well as starting air racing competitions. Nothing quiet so daredevil today in your vintage Tiger Moth, but on longer plane flights you might be able to (easily) persuade the pilot to pull a couple of moves!
The Tiger Moth plane you'll be flying in is G-AKUE, one of the rare Portuguese-built DeHavilland Tiger Moths. Painted up in a rather fetching dark blue with red and white fuselage stripes, this very handsome Tiger Moth dates back to 1939. The plane is well-travelled, with stints in Mozambique and Northern Rhodesia where she was known as 'Nokomis' (daughter of the moon) and worked as a general transport provider, before somehow heading to the plains of Surrey.
This DH82a version of the Tiger Moth is a delightful plane to fly and for all these experiences you'll be kitted out in authentic flying jacket and aviator helmet for a truly nostalgic flight. We are offering various flight durations, so there is something to suit every budget, from a 15 minute taster to get a feel for what it's like to be in an open cockpit plane, to a full 40 minute flight where you'll get great views of the Kent and Surrey countryside.
If you buy this experience for any aviation fan, we are sure just the fact that they can get up close to a Tiger Moth plane is a thrill in itself, let alone actually taking off in one and then even having a go at the controls. We think these Tiger Moth flights in Surrey offer a fantastic day out at an historic airfield that will be cherished by the lucky flyer. Indeed, with spectators welcome to join you to watch the take off, circuits and landing, we're sure it'll be a memorable day out for all the family.
• Flights take place on weekends and weekdays from April to October, weather permitting.
• Minimum age is 14 years
• No Maximum age, any concern please check with you GP
• Maximum weight is 16 stone, maximum height 6'7"
• Not Suitable for anybody fitted with a pace maker
• Spectators are very welcome and there's is no fee to come to the airfield
• On site Cafe with viewing areas looking across the runways
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• No alcohol should be consumed before flying
• Guests should wear warm comfortable clothing and soft soled shoes
• Redhill Aerodrome, Surrey