A Tiger Moth Flight
• Safety and pre-flight briefing from a fully qualified pilot instructor
• Approximately 20 minute flight in a fully restored 1933 DH28A Tiger Moth
• During the flight you will have the opportunity to take the controls
• Choose one of the following themed flight options:
Stonehenge from the Air
Fly over the World Heritage Site of historic Stonehenge
The Lost Airfields of Wiltshire
View the lost WW1 airfields of Lake Down, Stonehenge and Larkhill and see the WW2 airfields of Boscombe Down, High Post and Oatlands Farm
The WW1 Fovant Badges
Fly down the Fovant Valley and see the Fovant Valley Badges carved into the hillside from the air
What Can I Expect
Take a historic Tiger Moth flight over Wiltshire! This beautiful DH28A Tiger Moth will take you on an aerial experience that will be simply unforgettable. We are offering themed flights in this Tiger Moth heading out of Old Sarum airfield.
Of over 8000 DH28 models built, the Tiger Moth residing at this airfield in Wiltshire was one of the very first batch of 12 built in 1933. She immediately went into flight training duties at the DeHavilland School of Flying in Hatfield, teaching young pilots, many of whom graduated on to flying planes such as Spitfires, Mosquitoes and Lancasters during the Second World War. G-ACDI returned to civil life in 1945, but then damaged, she languished in storage for many years. It wasn't until 2007 when she was bought and fully restored to join the fleet at this wonderful Wiltshire airfield.
Now back to all her original glory and beautifully liveried in her silver wings and red fuselage, G-ACDI is always a huge favourite with the visitors to the airfield when they see her fly. Old Sarum itself is just the right place to take a flight in a Tiger Moth, as this Wiltshire aerodrome has seen fight training since opening its doors in 1917. The army and RAF left in 1979 and the airfield finally got a CAA licence to fly in 1986, meaning the heritage of flying continues to this day.
As well as the sheer pleasure of the Tiger Moth flights, you'll also have the stunning views of Wiltshire to enjoy. From the open cockpit of the Moth you'll be privy to a super bird's eye view of some fabulous and famous sights of the rolling Wiltshire countryside and beyond.
So who will be looking after you during your Tiger Moth flight over Wiltshire? Well, there is a strong team of dedicated flying instructors here, including Chief Flying Instructors David Wood and Geoff Prout. David actually had a PPL licence before he had a driving licence (that's how keen he is on flying) and Geoff 's very first flight in the Air Training Corps was actually in a Tiger Moth! On the day of your experience you will be met by your instructor pilot who will be taking you up for your experience, given a safety briefing and then once comfortably strapped in the cockpit you'll taxi off for your flight in this most glorious of flying machines.
• The flying centre operates all year round on weekdays and weekends
• Tiger Moths have open cockpits, so your activity will be dependent on the weather
• Bookings for this experience are available from March 2020
• 01 Mar 2020 - remove date
• Minimum age 14
• Under 16s must be accompanied on the airfield by an adult
• Maximum height 6ft 6ins
• Maximum weight 16 stone
• Spectators are welcome to come along and watch the flight
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• There are toilet facilities and free parking at the airfield
• Skies cafe and restaurant on site providing snacks and drinks
• Old Sarum Airfield just north of Salisbury in Wiltshire