• A flight in a 1930's Tiger Moth with a fully trained pilot
• A pre-flight briefing and introduction to the aircraft
• 15, 30, 45 and 60 minute flight durations are available
• Chance to take the controls and fly the aircraft
• Amazing views across Essex
• Opportunity to pose for photos with the aircraft
What Can I Expect
Now booking: Tiger Moth flights out of North Weald Airfield! Take off in a vintage Tiger Moth biplane from this historic airfield just north of Epping. With a full range of flight durations available, we’ve got an experience to suit you.
We are offering 15, 30, 45 and 60-minute Tiger Moth flights from North Weald. Sitting pretty in the north Essex countryside, this is a great little general aviation airfield. It’s steeped in history too, having been created as RAF North Weald in 1916 and served as a strategic fighter base in WW2 and beyond.
Various squadrons have been based at North Weald over the years and everything from Hurricanes and Bristol Blenheims, to Gloster Meteors and de Havilland Vampires were commonplace in these skies above Epping. These days the airfield sees its fair share of vintage aircraft flying, including these lovely Tiger Moths.
The operator running these flights out of North Weald has a trio of Tiger Moths to choose from. You may not know in advance which particular Moth will be flying during your day, but all are beautifully restored to be the flying beauties they truly are.
Everyone (even captains on those fancy high-tech, modern airliners) love the Tiger Moth. There’s something just so magical about this tail-dragger, open-cockpit biplane. It has bags of charm and is so pretty. It wasn’t just about looks though, the Moth was the primary trainer for many an Air Force for many a year.
This Epping team will tell you that’s because the Moth is: ‘a robust aircraft that is generally docile and forgiving in normal flight’. But we have to add, that does not make this plane boring to fly - far from it in fact, as you’ll find out for yourself on these experiences.
And don’t forget, all Tiger Moth flights at North Weald are treated as trial lessons, which means you get to have a go at flying the plane, just like all those keen young RAF pilot trainees in years gone by. Once your pilot instructor has handled take off and reached level flight, it’s over to you! Reserve your slot now before they all get booked up - Moths generally only fly between March and October.
• Flights are available on selected regular weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• The ideal time for open cockpit flying is March - October, flights are usually limited outside this period
• Minimum age 14
• Under 18s must be accompanied on the airfield by an adult
• Minimum height 4'6" and maximum 6'4"
• Maximum weight 18 stone
• Warm clothing should be worn due to open cockpit of the aircraft
• You should consult your GP if you have any concerns about flying in an open cockpit aircraft
• Spectators are welcome to come along and watch the take off and landing
• The onsite 'NAAFI' Restaurant and 'Mess' Bar boast excellent viewing areas
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Quoted flight durations include taxi time
• The specific Tiger Moth aircraft used for flights may vary, please check when booking if you have a preference
• North Weald Aerodrome, Essex