• Driving session in 'Red One' The Land Rover
• Experiences last around 30 minutes with 20 minutes at the wheel
• Learn and practice driving skills on the coned course
• One person can ride in the vehicle with you as a passenger for no additional charge
What Can I Expect
This is teen driving in Newcastle - and it’s in a very special vehicle! If you know a youngster who’s mad about motoring, this junior offroading session is brilliant fun because they’ll be at the wheel of a fab Land Rover Defender.
There’s no denying that Land Rovers are cool. Land Rover Defenders in particular are very cool. A classic Landy that has a very special job as an escort vehicle is pretty much the pinnacle of coolness in our book and that’s just what they will be driving on these teen drives in Newcastle.
Affectionately known as ‘Red One’ by this Newcastle team, the long wheel base Landy certainly looks the part. Rugged, reliable and a real hero of the off road world, the much praised Red One has a very special role with this crew. Often seen leading the charge on the public roads, Red One escorts the huge low-loaders that are used to transport things like tanks and other heavy military vehicles around.
And we have to say, Red One is a proper workhorse Landy, just like they were always meant to be. Bright red body work and white top, the integrated roof rack complete with yellow lights, powerful front winch and huge ‘Escort Vehicle’ panels make it pretty obvious this motor means business.
Teens will love driving this 4x4. Youngsters will be out on this Newcastle training course for around 20 minutes, with an experienced instructor in the front passenger seat to guide them. During that time they will be negotiating the coned out course to see if Red One can be tamed.
The only prerequisites for these junior driving sessions near Newcastle are that youngsters are at least 5ft 2” tall (so they can reach the pedals) and aged between 14 and 18 years old. If they tick those two boxes they’ll be off, tackling the track at the heart of this extensive country estate. What’s more, there’s a seat available for them to nominate someone to ride along with them. Be a passenger if your dare!
• Selected weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• Dates and session times are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Suitable for 14-18 year olds
• Minimum height 5ft 2ins (to reach pedals)
• Under 16s must be accompanied by a spectating adult
• Spectators are welcome, although due to the nature of the activity viewing is limited
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Matfen Hall Estate
• Conveniently located a 20 minute drive from Newcastle city centre