• Tank Driving Experience
• Welcome and safety briefing on driving techniques
• Drive an Alvis CVR(T) Spartan tank for 15-20 minutes on a purpose built multi-terrain track
• Please allow 60-90 minutes for this experience
What Can I Expect
Go tank driving in Yorkshire in the shadows of Whitby Abbey! This amazing tank driving experience in Yorkshire’s finest coastal town of Whitby gives you fully-tracked fun in a clifftop location right by the sea. If rugged and windswept is what you want, you’ve got it in bucket loads here!
Ready to battle the bumps of the Whiby countryside is the Spartan tank. Known in the Army as the FV103, this Alvis tank is an Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC) version of the Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance - Tracked (CVR-T). In essence, all those monikers mean that this is an agile little tank that’s used for transporting soldiers around in battle zones.
It’s not just an Army taxi though, this intrepid tank comes equipped as standard with a machine gun. And in an ambush, the trusty Spartan has one serious advantage over other tanks. It can turn on a dime and is really, really fast for a fully-tracked tank. We’re talking up to 60mph. What’s more, the Spartan is capable of tackling up to 60% gradients. It won’t stall. It won’t fail. It’ll get you out of that tricky situation, no problem.
You might be surprised to find that behind all that torque and speed is, in fact, a Jaguar XK engine! No wonder the guys at Whitby call this their sporty tank. Driving it is pretty easy too, compared to larger, heavier combat tanks. It has a semi-automatic gearbox and boasts seven forward gears…and seven reverse. That means you can as fast backwards as you can forward. How cool is it that?
First introduced to the Army and RAF in 1978, the good old Alvis CVR(T) Spartan is a real gem of a tank that has had a seriously good innings with the forces. Given it’s size and ability, the Spartan was used most for transporting specialist teams around, from mortar fire controller teams, to anti-aircraft teams. If you wanted to get somewhere quickly and safely in a war zone, this was the vehicle to have. Now on these tank driving experiences in Yorkshire, you too can discover just what this wicked little tank can do in the wilds of Whitby.
• Selected weekends and weekdays from March to September
• Dates and session times are subject to availability
• Minimum age 18
• Participants must have held a full UK driving licence for over 12 months
• Maximum height 6ft 6ins
• Spectators are welcome
• Passenger rides are available in the tank for £10 per person payable on the day
• Minimum age for these passenger rides is 5
• Under 16s must be accompanied by a participating adult
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Whitby, North Yorkshire