Tank Driving Experience
• You will learn how to drive a 17.5 ton FV432
• Welcome and briefing
• Approximately 15 minutes of hands on driving
• Use of a tank suit and helmet for the experience
• You will form part of a group of three participants
• When not driving you will be riding as a passenger for around 30 minutes
• Please allow approximately one and a half hours on site for this experience
Tanks vs Monster Trucks
• In addition to the above you will also drive a monster truck
• 10 minutes driving a 6.0 litre V8 full size American monster truck
• Experience driving over and crushing scrap cars
• Please allow approximately two hours on site for this experience
What Can I Expect
You’re about to get conscripted for some tank driving in Shropshire! Fifty acres of varied terrain, one FV432 Armoured Personnel Carrier and a whole lot of horsepower and you’ve got yourself a full-tracked day of fun in the Midlands.
Back in the 80s the FV432 was very much present on the battlefields, with over 2500 of them in active service with the Army. These tanks served mainly as battle taxis, ferrying troops around. They can carry up to seven soldiers in the rear deck, with three onboard crew driving up front. Open the hinged rear door of the FV432 and you’ll see it’s not exactly a VIP transfer in there, with just a simple bench seat and lots of riveted panels all around. But apparently the tank has filters on it, so in the case of a nuclear, biological or chemical attack outside, inside the troops will be breathing clean air...albeit in hot, cramped, dark and very bouncy conditions!
This FV432 may have retired from active service, but this tank is still driving around Shropshire and absolutely loving it. The instructors act as commanders, whilst you clamber into the driver’s very small, square hatch in front. Lower yourself in, plonk your feet on the ground and get ready to drive the tank around the off-road site near Telford.
But wait, there’s no steering wheel? How do you drive this thing? The accelerator is a pedal at your feet, but the brake and steering are done by levers. Luckily, it’s an automatic gearbox so you don’t have clutch and gears to think about, but it’s tricky stuff pulling the lever to steer left or right whilst maintaining the gas (if you don’t you’ll just grind to a halt).
And going over hills and mounds is brilliant in a tank. You’ll be able to ‘give it some’ up the side, to then let it roll (all 15 tonnes of it!) down the other side, before hitting the gas again for the next incline. With any luck, there’ll be some nice water splashes and some muddy turns to execute to test your FV432 driving skills to the max here in Shropshire.
If you fancy adding big wheels to your big tracks, as well as tank driving in Shropshire, you can bolt-on a drive in one of the centre’s big, fat monster trucks. Quite a different beasts to the fully tracked military tank, these big boys of the road are just as much fun to be in command of as the FV432!
• Selected weekdays and weekends from March until October
• Generally sessions run every other week
• Dates and session times are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Minimum age is 17
• Maximum weight is 22 stone
• Maximum height is 6'4''
• A full UK Driving licence is required for this experience
• Up to four spectators for the tank experience can ride as passengers for a fee of £20 per person (payable upon booking)
• Minimum age for passengers is 8
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Childs Ercall, near Telford