• Welcome and safety briefing
• Experiences operate on a 1:1 basis
• Learn how to drive an Alvis Stormer military armoured vehicle
• Once you are used to the controls you will drive the tank on the off road course
• The custom made off road track contains water splashes, knife edges and banked earth to really test your skills
• Taster sessions give you 20 minutes of hands on driving and tank experiences provide 30 minute of drive time
• Please allow between 1.5-2 hours on site for this experience
What Can I Expect
How about a bit of tank driving in the wilds of Northumberland? If you’ve ever wondered where you can drive a tank around these parts, the answer is right here, right now, near Morpeth! Roll up the sleeves and get ready to get stuck in for a frenzy of full-tracked antics at Eshott Airfield.
The guys behind this project know a thing or two when it comes to adventurous activities, as they also own and run the airfield. They decided that stuff like flying high in the air in a wartime plane can be matched in extremeness by things that go along the ground. So, they created this outdoor activity centre on the perimeter of the airfield for some serious terra firma fun.
That’s where the Alvis Stormer tank comes in. Also known as the FV4333, it’s practically indigenous on this sort of rugged Northumberland terrain. This is the ultimate Armoured Fighting Vehicle that easily adapts to many battlefield roles, from firing Starstreak High Velocity Missiles and laying mines, to acting as a field ambulance or a recovery vehicle . Having served the British Army and many other armies around the world for decades, they go anywhere. From deserts and dusty roads, to woodlands and treacherous terrain, an Stormer will get you where you need to go in hostile environments.
Nothing hostile as you take the tank for a trundle around Eshott Airfield though, just smiles as wide as the Alvis itself. It’s an utterly brilliant thing to drive and properly exciting too. It’s nothing like driving a car, or any other military vehicle for that matter, so forget steering wheels, indicators and brakes, this is all about levers and gears to control those two heavy tracks under your feet.
An instructor will be riding alongside you in the tank, so they’ll be on hand to tutor you in the art of full-tracked driving. Once you’ve got the hang the basic controls, that’s to saying going forwards, turning left and right and (of course) stopping, you’ll make a beeline for the off road course filled with lumps, bumps, water splashes and more.
The whole experience is sure to be a brilliant challenge for you, but for this Alvis Stormer it’ll be a case of ‘just doing my job’. Isn’t it time you revved that engine and went tank driving around Northumberland’s finest purpose-built course with the guys from Eshott Airfield?
• Weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• Sessions are generally available between 9am and 6pm
• Dates and session times are subject to availability
• Minimum age is 16
• Maximum weight is 22 stone
• Maximum height is 6'4''
• No driving experience or licence is required
• Spectators are welcome
• Up to 4 spectators can ride as passengers for a fee of £15 per person, payable on the day
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Suitable outdoor clothing and footwear should be worn
• HD filming of your experience is available to purchase on the day for an additional charge of £25
• Felton, Morpeth, Northumberland