• Air Experience flight in a 1940 Being Stearman
• Introduction to the ground crew and your pilot in the vintage flight room
• Get kitted out in a military issued flight suit, with plenty of photo opportunities
• Briefing, including safety, the workings of the aircraft,and route planning
• 20, 30, 45 and 60 minute flight durations are available
• This is an air experience flight and participants will not have the opportunity to take the controls during the flight
• Personalised flight certificate
• Flight times are chock to chock
20 & 30 Minute Flight
• Fly over the local countryside
45 Minute Flight
• The route will take you along the coast with spectacular views
60 minute Flight
• View the Jurassic Coast and the Isle of Wight
What Can I Expect
Prepare for proper open cockpit flying when you take off on a Stearman flight! The Stearman biplane has a long history as a military trainer aircraft and even today, it’s still an absolute delight to fly in a Stearman. We are offering rides ranging from 20 minutes through to a whole hour, taking off from this delightful private airfield on the Dorset/Wiltshire border.
This particular Stearman was born in the US of A in 1940. Working as a military trainer for the US Air Force and later the US Navy, she certainly served her time helping young pilots gain their wings. Boeing N2S-5 Kaydet (E75) to give the Stearman it’s full American name, became G-AZLE in late 1971 and since then has enjoyed flying in the skies over the UK.
Despite her civilian life, G-AZLE, with military serial number 75-8543, is still resplendent in her US Navy training colours. That canary yellow and sky blue combination she sports is definitely striking, so there’s no missing this Stearman in flight, that’s for sure!
All Stearman biplane rides start on the ground in the vintage-styled briefing room. You’ll get kitted out in a genuine flight suit, chat about safety procedures and what to expect on your flight and also chat a little about flight path planning. On the shorter flight durations you’ll be flying the local area, but on the longer ones, you can explore further afield to the Jurassic Coast and even the Isle of Wight - with superb open cockpit views guaranteed.
A nice touch at Compton Abbas set this Stearman flight experience apart from others. Friends and family are invited to join the briefing and they can then observe from the terrace as you climb into the cockpit of the plane. And of course, they can all wave enthusiastically as you take off too.
• Available throughout the year on selected weekdays and weekends
• Flights are subject to availability and weather conditions
• You must call on the morning of your flight to check that weather conditions are suitable
• Minimum age 14
• All under 18's must be accompanied by an adult on the airfield
• Maximum weight limit is 18 stone
• Maximum height 6'4"
• Friends and family can join in your experience and can listen in on briefing, watch the take off and landing from the runway terrace
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Make a day of it and book for lunch or afternoon tea in the onsite restaurant
• Opportunity to purchase an in flight video on a USB stick of your experience as a lasting memento for an additional charge of £40 payable on the day
• Compton Abbas Airfield, Salisbury, Dorset