A steam engine driving experience
• Choose a one or two hour session
• Welcome, introduction and safety briefing
• Assist in firemans duties
• With expert tuition you will have the opportunity to drive the engine
• Loan of a boiler suit to keep you clean
• Souvenir certificate
• Your experience will take place with 2 participants
What Can I Expect
Have you ever heard the steam engine puffing along the South Yorkshire Coalfield Line? This formidable heritage railway is steeped in history and during this special steam engine driving experience in Yorkshire you'll be riding footplate along the Elsecar Railway Line. And make no mistake, you will be driving for real, so expect to get stuck in and expect to be shovelling coal, but don't worry, you'll be given overalls for the job!
This wonderful little heritage railway is entirely run by volunteers - and what a friendly, welcoming and utterly charming bunch they are. Since taking over full ownership and responsibility of this part of the South Yorkshire line, there are now a number of drivable small steam and diesel engines, including two charming and unique Sentinel steam engines; one named William after the famous Chief Engineer - Sir William Stainer along with a booking hall, buffet and shop at Elsecar Station, the main base.
You will have the chance to actually fire up and drive the steam powered engine along this Yorkshire line, passing some rather poignant industrial archaeology as you go. After a safety briefing, you will meet your mentor and steam engine guru who will be with you for the duration of this nostalgic experience in Yorkshire. It's then time to step up to the plate (literally!) and learn how to start, stop and fire up the full-sized steam train loco.
Once competent in the cab, you'll head out on the main line, where you will be handed the controls to conquer the 1 in 37 pitched climb from just after the buffer stops at Hemingfield to the highest point at Elsecar Bank number two on your return journey. Quite a feat for any steam engine and its driver, you will need some serious pressure to make it!
As well as your first foray into being a full-blown steam engine driver, you will also get an insight into the life of a fireman as you assist with their duties on the line, so you get see several aspects of the daily running of this Yorkshire-based track on this experience.
With the Elsecar Yorkshire steam train team's enthusiasm and dedication, we are sure you will be thoroughly enraptured by your chance to drive a steam engine along a mile of Yorkshire's most challenging track. And remember, this is the only steam engine driving experience we offer in the whole of Yorkshire!
• Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays from April to October, subject to availability
• Due to the popularity of this experience, please book early to avoid disappointment
• Please note this experience has limited availability
• Minimum age 18
• A good, general level of fitness is required
• Friends and family are welcome to come along and watch the action
• The Elsecar Heritage Centre (directly accessed from the railway by footbridge) is home to an antiques and craft centre, with a play arena for children too
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• The experience takes place using a light engine without passenger carriages
• Elsecar, Yorkshire