Two hour guided tour of the Mk26 Spitfire
• 45 minute presentation on the modern spitfire
• Information on the history of the spitfire and the newly built 90% scale flying spitfires
• Tour of the production facility containing three additional spitfires
• Get up close to the aircraft
• Discussion time to answer any questions you may have
• Refreshments are included
• Great photo opportunities with the spitfires
What Can I Expect
See a different type of Spitfire on these Mk26 Spitfire tours! What do you do if you love Spitfires but you don’t happen to have a spare couple of million pounds to buy a restored one? Well, you do what Mike O’Sullivan did - design and build one from scratch!
These modern Spitfires are flying scale versions of the legendary WW2 fighter plane that we know and love. The Spitfire Mk26b is the third version produced in kit form by the manufacturer Supermarine Aircraft, the company that Mike O'Sullivan went on to create. At 90% scale to the original, these new Spitfires look the same, handle the same and sound the same. They even have a similar power-to-weight ratio of RJ Mitchell’s iconic design. Just goes to show that sometimes a great invention can never be bettered.
Our fascinating Mk26 Spitfire tours give you the opportunity to visit the production facility at Enstone Airfield, home to the official UK supplier of these scale Spitfires. Tours are hosted by members of the in-house team, all of whom are passionate about aviation and these incredible kits. They’ll explain how the Mk26b came about (there was a Mk25 and a Mk26 before) and what it takes to build one of these Spitfires (metalworking skills and a whole lot of aviation grade rivets are essential!).
Being shown around the aircraft, you’ll see just how close to the original Spitfires the Mk26bs are. Regardless of whether you think these modern-built Spitfires are ‘real’ or not, there’s no denying the quality of the workmanship, the passion and the desire to be as authentic as possible behind every single one of them.
You’ll also hear the story of the Spitfire, the importance the aircraft had in the Second World War and why it is such an iconic and important aircraft even today. It’s also a great opportunity to be able to ask all those Spitfire questions you’ve ever wanted to ask, but didn’t know who to ask. These guys love their Spitfires (so much so that ACE Squadron has been formed here at Enstone Airfield) and they'll be only to pleased to answer your questions.
Last but not least, these Mk26 Spitfire tours will show you that a flying Spitfire can be for the many and not just the few. You will still need pretty deep pockets, but what a project to undertake! You might even be tempted by the end of these tours…
• Selected Thursdays and Saturdays throughout the year
• Sessions are generally 11:00-13:00 and 14:00-16:00
• Under 16s must be accompanied by a participating adult
• You will form part of a group of up to 20 guests
• Not suitable for spectators
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Participants do not sit or fly in the spitfire on this experience
• Enstone Aerodrome, Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire