• SOE (Special Operations Executive) experience
• Step back in time to experience what it was like to be a wartime spy in occupied France
• Welcome, introduction and safety briefing
• Choose from a half or full day experience
• Full days include a mission where you will put in to practice skills learnt
• Ration lunch is included on full day experiences
• You will form part of a group of up to 10 participants on the day
• Covert Sills (dead drops, coded messages)
• Weapons Training (Welrod, Sleeve Gun, Sten gun, Pistols)
• Close Combat (Combat knife, sleeve dagger, thumb knife, Garotte)
• Demolition and explosives (Grenades, plastic explosives)
What Can I Expect
Code name and new ID at the ready, you’re going to SOE spy school! The very secretive Special Operations Executive was formed by Churchill at the height of WW2, with the aim of sending specially trained agents into occupied France to wreak havoc and provide essential information on the Nazi advance. These half and full day missions give you the chance to immerse yourself into the clandestine world of the SOE.
Nicknamed ‘Churchill’s secret army’, it’s only fairly recently that detailed documents about the Special Operations Executive has come out, including the full 1940 training document. It’s a fascinating insight into the incredibly brave work the men and women of the SOE undertook in wartime France and your missions will be based on this training.
Arriving at basecamp, you’ll have your new identity and your code name. Make sure your background story is plausible and ensure you blend into the background of 1940s rural France. At these very special SOE spy school sessions, all new recruits will be taught the basics to survive in occupied France whilst working for the British Government.
You might be issued a suitcase radio, so you’ll need to get too grips with Morse code. Then there are the very subtle explosive kits, with pencil chargers capable of blowing up a piece of railway track. You might even need to use the special devices to puncture tyres and don’t forget your key with a secret compartment for storing minuscule microfiches…
These experiences are all about total immersion, as you become a Special Operations Executive agent. Most of your time will be spent outdoors, working the woodlands and paths that surround your basecamp, carrying out tasks and missions with your fellow SOE colleagues. It’s all very intriguing and involves everything from close combat skills and covert surveillance, to controlling propaganda and being a master of disguise.
For those enrolled for a half day of SOE spy school, operatives will undertake one mission in the morning or afternoon. Full day SOE agents will take time out for lunch, which will be provided by mission control and is very much food for Special Operations Executives on the move. You then regroup at 14:00 hours for your afternoon mission. Good luck to all the girls and guys from the SOE, you’ve got a country to save!
• Weekdays and weekends, throughout the year
• Dates are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Half day missions start at 10:00 or 14:00
• Full Day missions start at 10:00 finishing around 17:00
• Minimum age 18
• Maximum age 70
• A good, general level of fitness is required
• Spectators are welcome although due to the nature of this activity, viewing may be limited
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Swansea Bay 1940's Museum, Swansea
• Conveniently located only 3 miles from M4 Junction 42