• Drive a rear wheel drive Sierra Cosworth
• Welcome and safety briefing
• In car introduction to the rally cars controls and features
• Tips and tuition from an onboard instructor
• Choose from a 9 mile experience (3 laps of the rally stage) or 18 miles (6 laps)
• The stages have loose surfaces, hairpins and sweeping corners
• Opt for the hot lap and you will also receive an instructor driven high speed passenger ride in the Cosworth
• Allow around one hour on site for this experience
What Can I Expect
Hark back to the classic days of Group B rallying on these Sierra Cosworth rally experiences! The Sierra rally car was a bit of an icon in the motorsport world of the mid 1980s. Hundreds of thousands of L and GL versions (remember them?) roamed the streets, but on the rally track, it was the Sierra Cosworth that ruled the roost.
Well, when we say that, Ford Motorsport’s Sierra RS Cosworth never actually won a World Championship title overall - but the car and its drivers certainly had some serious fun trying. The likes of rallying legends Carlos Sainz, Stig Blomquist and Ari Vatanen have all been at the wheel of a Sierra Cosworth rally, with many a stage win.
The problem was the Ford Sierra was rallying at a time when the newfangled four wheel drive mean machines were coming out in force, led by the Lancia Delta Integrale and the Toyota Celica. Whilst holding its own on the tarmac stages, the rear wheel drive Cossie just couldn’t match these cars for grip on gravel, no matter how much power it boasted.
But in today’s motorsporting world where every car is all wheel drive, it’s a real rallying treat to be able to drive the rear wheel drive Ford Cosworth. This centre has a souped up four door Sierra Sapphire saloon and the classic two-door RS Cosworth - complete with mahoosive whale tail.
We have to say, there will be a lot of overseer on the gravel stage if you don’t get the Cossy under control. And that’s what learning to rally is all about. Once you’ve got to grips with the handling when driving along a surface that feels like a bed of marbles, you’ll be able to increase the speed and improve your times with every lap.
There to help you will be a team of instructors, led by school owner Tom. He’s pretty good at this rallying lark, so hopefully you’ll learn some of best bits of rallying from him and the pros. And for that same reason, we highly recommend the hotlap to go with your Sierra Cosworth rally session - it’ll show you what it’s really all about and it’ll be in one of the Sierras!
• Selected Saturdays throughout the year
• Experiences are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Minimum age is 17
• Participants must hold a full driving licence
• Maximum weight is 18 stone
• Minimum height is 5ft, maximum height is 6ft 4ins
• Safety helmets are provided
• Spectators are welcome and there are great viewing areas of the whole track
• Please advise when booking your date if you are planning to bring more than 3 people with you
• Sorry no dogs allowed
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• All drivers on the day will have the option to pay a non-refundable £25 damage waiver which will cover them against any damage that may be caused to the vehicle(s) in the event of an incident
• Drivers who do not wish to take this waiver will need to sign a disclaimer and will need to be able to cover the cost on the day for any damage to the vehicle up to a maximum amount of £5000. Credit card details will need to be provided with £5000 limit or above for this reason. Debit cards are accepted however please be aware a pre-authorisation applies to debit cards to check funds are available
• Snacks and refreshments can be purchased from the on site cafe
• Additional pay on the day activities are available
• The rally driving stage is located near Saffron Walden in Essex
• Convieniently located just off the M11 and within easy reach of Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire and Essex