• An Orwell river barge cruise for two people
• Allow three hours for this experience
• Plenty of relaxation whilst viewing the vessel under sail
• Light ploughman's lunch and dessert
• Ample views to enjoy
• You may be in a group of up to fifty people
What Can I Expect
Our Orwell River Cruises give you a unique way to see the sights around Ipswich! This wonderful half day barge cruise is like stepping back in time to an era when working barges filled the rivers transporting cargo and passengers around the country and beyond. These days the fully restored beautiful boats are a rare sight on the water.
With the aim of preserving sail-barges and keeping them working by offering cruises on the Orwell and other English rivers, Stephanie and Paul, the husband and wife team who set up this company are incredibly passionate and dedicated. The company now boasts a fleet of five fully-restored sail barges, namely SB Hydrogen, Thistle, Reminder and Kitty. And if, like us, you were wondering what the 'SB' stands for it's 'Sailing Barge'!
As soon as you step aboard you'll appreciate the amount of work that has gone in to restore these vessels to offer comfy seating, corner bars and convivial dining areas, all using high quality marine woods. Able to comfortably welcome 50 guests onboard whilst cruising gently along the River Orwell, these barges certainly offer a unique experience on the inland waters of Suffolk.
These Orwell river cruises set sail from Ipswich dock and head through the lock onto the main section of the River Orwell. Slipping quietly past the impossibly picturesque Pin Mill on the barge, you'll cruise under sail all the way to bustling Harwich harbour before turning around to head back to Ipswich. During the experience you may be able to assist the skipper and mate, as well as enjoying the views and a light ploughman's lunch with dessert that has been freshly prepared in the galley kitchens of these historic barges.
• Available on selected Fridays between March and October
• The cruise is weather dependant
• Minimum age 12
• Under 18's must be accompanied
• Participants should be reasonably agile to be able to board the vessel
• Warm clothing suitable to the day should be worn
• Sensible flat shoes are advisable
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Sail from the Old Customs House in the historic dock, Ipswich