• One day workshop learning how rockets work and are designed
• Build your own large re-useable rocket
• Launch your rocket and take it home with you
• Information is provided on where/how to fly it safely along with contact details of local rocketry clubs
• You will form part of a small group of up to 4 participants
• 09:30-10:00 - Welcome and introduction with tea/coffee
• 10:00-11:00 - Workshop tour and introduction to Rocketry
• 11:00-11:30 - Safety briefing and rocket design
• 11:30-12:00 - Airframe construction
• 12:00-12:30 - Fin assembly
• 12:30-13:00 - Lunch break (light lunch included)
• 13:00-13:30 - Nosecone assembly and mounting to airframe
• 13:30-14:00 - Parachute installation and test
• 14:00-15:30 - Travel to launch site, rocket launch and recovery
• 15:30-16:00 - Debrief, presentation of photos and 'Rocket of the Day' award
What Can I Expect
Book onto a rocket building workshop and learn how to build a proper rocket! And when we say rocket, we mean an actual 1m-high missile capable of being propelled several thousand feet in the air. Yes, you read that right. You’ll be building a rocket that’ll be heading way up high in the sky! How exciting is that?
Luckily, you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to be into rocketry. These innovative rocket building workshops will take you through the whole process in just a day. From the initial design, through assembly and onto preparing the mounts for the launch, it’s fascinating stuff. You even learn how to install and test a parachute for your rocket’s re-entry, so it lands gently enough that you can re-use your hand-crafted rocket.
Each participant gets to build their own rocket and the culmination of all that hard work in the workshop is a launch event where you will get to fire your rocket off into space (well, into the blue at least!). You’ll be transported to the special outdoor rocket launch zone, where the final preparations will be undertaken ready for blast off. Once launched into orbit, your attention turns to tracking the rocket and then recovery.
Of course, behind every great rocket is a team of great scientists. Here at this Rocket HQ, Ben is head of rocketry. He’s been building rockets for many, many years. He’s overseen more than 1500 launches, with high performance hybrid nitrous oxide-powered designs producing 10KM of thrust and regularly reaching between 20,000 and 30,000ft in the stratosphere.
Ben launched his fully-fledged UK rocket business based out of former RAF Coltishall near Norwich, where your workshop will take place. His aim is to provide training, simulation and services to the UK space industry, including launching rockets with payloads, or for high altitude weather monitoring for example.
These one-day rocket building workshops give you the chance to find out just how you can build and launch your very own space rocket. Ideally aimed at grown ups, these fab experiences allow you to realise those childhood rocket-building dreams. Time to get ready to go to infinity and beyond and book your place!
• Selected weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• Experiences generally operate once a month
• Minimum age 12 (although recommended for ages 16+)
• 12-16 year olds must be accompanied by a parent/guardian
• Not suitable for spectators (unless accompanying a 12-16 year old)
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• 'Rockethub01', Badersfield, Norwich