• Helicopter sightseeing tour
• Welcome, safety briefing and introduction by your helicopter pilot
• Flights are generally taken in a Robinson R44 helicopter accommodating up to 3 passengers
Portsmouth Helicopter Buzz
• A 10 minute flight
• Fly over the Solent with fantastic views of the Isle of Wight and Portsmouth
Portsmouth City & Coast Tour
• A 30 minute tour
• Unique views of the waters of the Solent, Spinnaker Tower, Portsmouth City and the historic dockyard
What Can I Expect
Of all the things to do in the area a Portsmouth tour by helicopter has got to be pretty much at the top of the wish list! Touring bustling Portsmouth Harbour and the stunning Solent coast beyond in a helicopter is a real thrill - and you get that breathtaking bird’s eye view of everything.
Helicopter rides over Portsmouth set off from Solent Airport at Lee-On-Solent. This is the former Royal Navy Air Station known as HMS Daedalus, just four miles west of the city. Being so close to Portsmouth means that even on the shortest of helicopter rides, you’ll be treated to fine views of Portsmouth, home to the UK’s largest and oldest naval base.
Access to the Naval part of the harbour is indeed restricted, as it is still very much in active service, so an aerial excursion over Portsmouth is a real insider treat. Over 17,000 personnel work here and Portsmouth still boasts abundant ship building, with orders for vessels such as aircraft carriers, which you may well see from the air.
You might then also see the historic dockyard, home to the Mary Rose, HMS Victory and HMS Warrior, before flying over neighbouring Spinnaker Tower. This is a tour highlight for sure, as this 170m tall observation tower in the form of a sail is such a great landmark for Portsmouth. Seeing it from air in a helicopter is just brilliant and it’s totally photogenic too, so make sure you get some good aerial shots of the Spinnaker from your seat in the chopper!
On the longer sightseeing flights, there might even be time to pass over Hayling Island, before turning to head back to base via the Solent coast, catching sight of the likes of Lock Lake, Southsea and the Isle of Wight on the horizon as you go.
Being a Portsmouth tour, all the maritime action on the waters below you is central to these flights. Ferries, naval vessels, sailing boats and fancy cruise liners - all can quite easily be seen from the heli, which, for these rides, flies at around 1000ft, affording you superb views or life in and around this corner of south Hampshire.
• Selected weekdays and weekends from March to October
• Flights are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Minimum age 4
• Under 14s must be accompanied by a participating adult
• Maximum weight 18 stone (if over 15 stone please advise prior to booking your date)
• Maximum height 6ft 3 ins
• Spectators are welcome to watch the departure and arrival
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Flights depart from Lee-on-the-Solent, Hampshire