• Allow half a day for this experience
• Includes a two hour Western Trail, a 'Chicken 'n' Steak' barbecue, complimentary soft drinks, tea and coffee
• The first 10 minutes of every trail is spent in a practice arena being given some basic instruction and settling you on your steed
• Learn the basics of Western Riding and experience walk and jog paces
• Vegetarian meals are available, please advise at the time of booking
• Safety hats are provided
What Can I Expect
This New Forest Western Horse Riding experience is the perfect opportunity to be at one with nature, as you embark on an authentic two-hour adventure into the tranquillity and beauty of these peaceful woodlands, rounded off with sizzling barbecued delights back at the ranch.
Western riding, with its relaxed style and deep seated saddle is easy to pick up even if you have not been on horseback before. So Beginners, as well as more seasoned riders are welcome on this gentle walk and jog trail which starts off in the arena with a short session to settle you on your trusty steed, and covers the basics of western riding, before heading out across the New Forest National Park.
You don't need to be a 'John Wayne' to trail ride, you can join Coyote, Chenoa and the other western horses as they take you out over the vast unspoilt grasslands and heaths, riding amongst the wild New Forest ponies who roam freely across the 94,000 acre National Park. The trails often encounter herds of highland cattle as well as buzzards as they make their way into the woodland enclosures, winding along narrow tracks between tall oak and pine trees. These ancient woods are home to the 'Kings Deer', the New Forest was originally the hunting ground of William the Conqueror and though shy creatures, they too can be seen watching you from the trees as you ride quietly by.
The New Forest, which boasts one of the greatest remaining expanses of unenclosed pasture, heath and woodland in England’s densely-populated south, is home to over 3000 wild New Forest ponies and is governed by historic laws and courts some of which date back to the days of the Doomsday Book. As you ride across these lands you may well find yourself lost in another world, removed from our non stop modern way of life, in a place where wild ponies have right of way over cars and much remains unchanged since its giant oaks were harvested to build Britain's Naval Fleets.
Horse riding in the fresh country air soon builds up an appetite, so as soon as you jump off the saddle back at the ranch, you’ll be tucking into a delicious barbecue lunch serving up sizzling chicken, steak and plenty of hot coffee, tea and refreshing soft drinks - a meal fit for a true New Forest Western Rider! If you’re vegetarian, no worries – just let us know when you book and we’ll sort out an equally delicious treat for you.
Whether you fancy the idea of Western Riding in Hampshire to enjoy some quality time with your family or friends, or some romantic time with the one you love, this is a relaxing equestrian exploit absolutely anyone will enjoy – especially if you want to escape the hectic bustle of modern living.
One thing's for certain; this New Forest Western Trail is an enchanting adventure everyone will look back on as a very special way to explore and re-discover the wonders of nature at its most wild and beautiful - and all on horseback, guided by expert ride leaders, who know the trails that criss-cross Hampshire’s gorgeous New Forest almost as well as the ponies that graze there and call it home!
• Sessions are available on selected Saturday mornings between April and October with a usual group size of 8-10 riders
• The centre is closed on Mondays and Bank Holidays
• Minimum age is 12 years, maximum weight 15 stone
• Cameras cannot be taken on rides
• Riders must wear long trousers and shoulders must be covered
• Shoes or boots with a small heel should be worn. Flat soled shoes/trainers are not suitable
• You will need to supply the following details for each rider when booking: height, weight and level of any previous riding experience (Beginner, Novice or Experienced) and if a vegetarian meal is required
• This experience is not suitable during pregnancy or if you have certain medical conditions or disabilities. If in doubt please ask before booking
• The activity is not suitable for spectators, however, visitors are welcome to wait at the ranch
• Riding lessons may be available to book on the day
• The centre can recommend accommodation nearby
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• The riding school is located near New Milton on the southern edge of the New Forest