• Drive a modified Land Rover Discovery TD5
• The experience lasts around one hour including a safety briefing and demo drive
• Drive around a nationally acclaimed off road course
• Climb steep hills, drop down sharp descents and blast through water canyons
• You will be driving on a one to one basis for around 50 minutes
What Can I Expect
Discover the might of the 4x4 Land Rover Discovery when you take the plunge and go off road in Newcastle! Put simply, this vehicle is one of the most renowned 4x4s in the world for agility, endurance and sturdiness. You can pretty much go anywhere in a trusty Disco II and a few rocks; water troughs and tree trunks certainly won't get in your way. We think you will love driving it around the Northumbrian countryside.
The setting for this experience is superb. This lot just outside Newcastle specialises in offering all sorts of gnarly off roading activities and the terrain at their disposal is tip-top. It all sounds very posh, as it's in the grounds of the Edwardian Slaley Hall estate, but don't worry it's not at all sanitised here - there is still a truck load of mud, dirt, water and long grass for you and your offroader to wade through.
In fact this off road course near Newcastle is nationally acclaimed and features an impressive mix of steep hills, big drops, off camber sections and even water canyons. What really caught our eye though, is the fact the Land Rover you'll be driving is modified - no, we're not talking UV lights and blacked out windows, we are talking a 2.5 inch lift kit, snorkel and lightweight wheels. All these bits and bobs mean you can go deeper into the water (without getting any in the carburettors) and steeper on the banks without tipping up - try some of these tests in a standard car and you won't get very far!
As well as the car, you will also be well-equipped to deal with these challenges, as the instructor drivers will guide you all the way around the 4x4 course. Alongside the safety briefing, you'll be taken on a demo drive around some of the toughest parts of this Newcastle course before you're let loose behind the wheel for your off road session.
Drive this Discovery II Td5 at Newcastle's finest off road centre and you have exclusive use of the vehicle for around 50 minutes. All tuition is on a one to one basis, rather than being part of a small group. If you've got friends and family who want to join in the fun, you can invite up to four of them along with the additional driver/spectator vouchers to ride in the vehicle. They can even share your driving time with you if you're up for it. A fantastic best value deal for budding off roaders in the Newcastle area.
• Selected weekdays and weekend dates
• Sessions usually run from March to mid November weather permitting
• Anyone wishing to drive must have a full driving licence - if you can drive a normal car you will be able to drive the Land Rover.
• Make sure you wear clothes appropriate for being in the countryside and please be aware the ground may be muddy.
• Additional driver/spectator vouchers can be purchased on the day for £15.00. They will entitle friends and family to join you in the vehicle as a passenger and, if you wish, to share the driving time.
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• The best way for spectators to enjoy this experience is to join you as additional drivers or passengers which can be bought as vouchers. If not, there is a wooden cabin onsite with toilets where friends and family can wait for you, although due the nature of the activity they won't see the action
• The course is on an estate with a luxury country house hotel offering restaurant, bar and spa
• On the specially built 4x4 course at the country estate in Northumberland, around 20 miles west of Newcastle