• A tank vs monster truck driving experience
• Welcome and briefing
• You will learn how to drive a 17.5 ton FV432 tank for around 15 minutes
• Use of a tank suit and helmet for the experience
• When not driving you will be riding as a passenger for around 30 minutes
• Drive a 6.0 litre V8 full size American monster truck for 10 minutes
• Experience driving over and crushing scrap cars
• You will form part of a group of up to three participants
• Please allow approximately two hours on site for this experience
What Can I Expect
Take to the track in tanks and trucks in Childs Ercall! If you’re going to go big, you might as well go very big with a massive monster truck and a pretty hefty tank to go with it. This fab experience gives you the chance to drive them both. It’s monster truck vs tank. Surely this is the stuff of childhood dreams?
These driving sessions pitch a custom-built monster truck against a military tank. Let’s have a closer look at both competitors in this monster truck vs tank showdown. One is an all-American King Kong of a machine built purely for showmanship and the sheer delight of the crowd, whilst the other has played active roles in various armies around the world for decades.
Mayhem is the truck. She looks intimidating, but with an affectionate nickname like Maggie May(hem) surely she can’t be that aggressive? Having said that, sitting pretty 12ft high, 14ft wide and 19ft long, she is certainly imposing. And just getting up into the cab to drive her is a mission that involves ladders. Once you’re up there it’s worth it. Expect those left on the ground to ask ‘how’s the weather up there’ as you perch several feet up in the air in Mayhem’s lofty cab.
The FV432 is the tank. We’re not sure if he has anything as frivolous as a nickname, because this Armoured Personnel Carrier is serious military stuff. If those riveted metal plates could talk they’d tell you tales of battlefields and combats, as this tank served with the British Army before retiring to Telford. And if you’re wondering what it must’ve been like for soldiers travelling in the back, you’ll find out, because when you’re not driving you spend some of the time as a passenger. Prepare to be jostled about!
When it comes to driving these mammoth machines, will you prefer the tank or the truck? The monster truck pretty much devours anything in its path (including any stray scrap cars that might well find themselves conveniently in the middle of the arena). The tank offers all the full track fun of driving something that has levers instead of a steering wheel and huge Rolls Royce engines to lug those 15 tons around.
Both are very different in so many ways, but when it comes to tanks and trucks, this pair is made up of two of the best. Weighty, striking and total gas guzzlers, they’re also surprisingly agile and spritely. We think you’ll enjoy driving this duo of impressive vehicles.
• Selected weekdays and weekends from March 2018 until October
• Generally sessions run every other week
• Dates and session times are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Minimum age is 16
• Maximum weight is 22 stone
• Maximum height is 6'4''
• No driving experience or licence is required
• Up to four spectators can ride as passengers in the tank for a fee of £20 per person (payable upon booking)
• Minimum age for passengers is 8
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Childs Ercall TF9 2DB near Telford