• Drive a 2 litre engine 200 Bhp 1970s Ford Escort MKII
• The car features a 5 speed gear box with fully floating atlas axle
• Welcome and safety briefing
• In car introduction to the rally cars controls and features
• Tips and tuition from an onboard instructor
• Drive the Escort for 9 miles (3 laps of the rally stage)
• The stages have loose surfaces, hairpins and sweeping corners
• Allow around one hour on site for this experience
What Can I Expect
The Ford Escort Mk2 rally car needs no introduction. If you love your rallying, you’ll know this was the most successful rally car ever when it dominated the motorsport during the 1970s. We are really quite excited to say this is your chance to drive this mythical rally car for yourself on a loose gravel stage in Essex!
The iconic RS1800 won every single consecutive RAC rally from 1975 to 1979 and of course, pulled off the WRC one-two in 1979, with Bjorn Waldegard on top of the podium, Hannu Mikkola as runner up and Ari Vatanen fifth. Totally epic. This incredible rally car held its own right up until the fledgling years of the four wheel drive generation of rally cars, headed by the Audi Quattro in the early 80s.
Even today, nothing beats the sound and sight of a MkII Escort hammering it around a rally course. You can hear the breathy engine-wail way before you can see it and when the Escort does come into view, it’s invariably at a near-impossible sideways angle.
That seminal Cosworth engine was without doubt most at home in the Welsh forest, wining endless rally stages. And who could forget those classic Rothmans and Castrol liveries and those extra-large wheel arches? Not even the fact that front vision was pretty useless through the front windscreen (which is why you often saw drivers and co-drivers peering through the side windows!) could detract from the sheer charm.
Simplicity and drivability is what makes this car an enduring icon. That is the beauty of the Escort Mk2 rally car. It’s low kerb weight and perfectly balanced rear wheel drive set up means you can get the rear end swinging out, knowing you will still exit the corner and accelerate neatly away.
Luckily for you, the legend that is the Escort Mk2 rally car is still very much living. That’s why rally operators (who are as big a rally fan as you) keep these classic rally cars going. Everyone deserves the chance to enjoy the sheer thrills and sensation of this great car at least once - and that’s why we’re offering these Ford Escort rally drives just for you!
• Selected Saturdays throughout the year
• Experiences are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Minimum age is 17
• Participants must hold a full driving licence
• Maximum weight is 18 stone
• Minimum height is 5ft, maximum height is 6ft 4ins
• Safety helmets are provided
• Spectators are welcome and there are great viewing areas of the whole track
• Please advise when booking your date if you are planning to bring more than 3 people with you
• Sorry no dogs allowed
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• All drivers on the day will have the option to pay a non-refundable £25 damage waiver which will cover them against any damage that may be caused to the vehicle(s) in the event of an incident
• Drivers who do not wish to take this waiver will need to sign a disclaimer and will need to be able to cover the cost on the day for any damage to the vehicle up to a maximum amount of £5000. Credit card details will need to be provided with £5000 limit or above for this reason. Debit cards are accepted however please be aware a pre-authorisation applies to debit cards to check funds are available
• Snacks and refreshments can be purchased from the on site cafe
• Additional pay on the day activities are available
• The rally driving stage is located near Saffron Walden in Essex
• Conveniently located just off the M11 and within easy reach of Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire and Essex