• Spend a morning or afternoon driving military vehicles on the purpose built of road track
• Welcome and safety briefing
• Drive the 110 Tithonus Land Rover for 30 minutes
• Learn how to drive a Stormer tank for 20 minutes
• 25 minutes driving the DAF T244 army truck
• The custom made off road track contains water splashes, knife edges and banked earth to really test your skills
• Experiences operate on a 1:1 basis
• Please allow between 3 hours on site for this experience
What Can I Expect
On this driving experience in the North East you’ll be stepping into the combat boots of a military driver, as you pilot a trio of army vehicles. And piloting is the correct term to use here, as this army driving experience takes place at Eshott Airfield at Felton, between Alnwick and Morpeth.
The guys that own and run the airfield undertook a big hangar development project, which meant that they found themselves with rather a lot of earth piled up. So what do you do with it all? Turn it into a pretty nifty off-road course, that’s what! The team has created a superb bespoke course that incorporates all your favourite features, from water splashes and side-slopes, to deep drops and steep hills.
Then they had to purchase a selection of suitable vehicles for having fun out there on their track - and they decided to go very much down the army route. They invested in a Stormer Tank, a DAF T244 army truck and a lovely little Land Rover Tithonus Defender. All three have actual military pedigree, having served their time with various sections of the British Armed Forces.
No retirement for these vehicles though. This army driving experience will see you spend a morning or an afternoon as a military driver, taking each one of them out in turn for a spin. All require different driving skills and all are just great fun to drive. And it’s not the army here, there’s no military protocol, no screaming Sargent Major, just a friendly instructor to encourage you and your machine to successfully negotiate the obstacles you’re tackling.
As well as the excellent terrain and top-notch choice of vehicles, this off road centre in the North East boasts a rather funky basecamp for these experience days. Up-cycled shipping containers have been cleverly integrated into the landscape to provide a designer welcoming building complete with toilets, refreshment area, open decking with views of the runways and space for the vehicles.
If you’re looking for a driving experience in the North East with a military theme, this is the day out for you. You’ll get to have a go at driving a full-tracked vehicle, a big chunky truck and a nippy go-anywhere Landy. All of which are genuine ex-Army, now enjoying life on civvie street in Morpeth!
• Weekdays and weekends throughout the year from August 2018
• Morning and afternoon sessions are available
• Dates and session times are subject to availability
• Minimum age is 16
• Maximum weight is 22 stone
• Maximum height is 6'4''
• No driving experience or licence is required
• Spectators are welcome
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Suitable outdoor clothing and footwear should be worn
• HD filming of your experience is available to purchase on the day for an additional charge of £50
• Felton, Morpeth, Northumberland