• Fuly immersive experience taking you back to the 14th Century
• Learn how to use an authentic longbow and the history behind it
• Wear the uniform of a military archer as you compete for handmade silver coins
• Embrace the life of a 14th Century soldier as you are guided through the true story of a major campaign
• Shoot accurately at both short and long distances
• A hot authentic Medieval lunch is provided
• Please allow up to 5 hours on site
• Use handmade longbows and arrows crafted by talented bowyers and fletchers
What Can I Expect
The year is 1346 and this is your archery experience day! You’ll be welcomed to the 14th century with this fun, hands-on and fascinating Medieval archer day, where you’ll be learning how Medieval soldiers lived.
Your encampment for the duration of the experience is nestled in tranquil farmland Chelmsford in Essex. Here you’ll be met by friendly archers in their authentic 14th century archery clothes. Before you know it, it’s tabards and tunics for you too, as you prepare to immerse yourself in the world Medieval archery.
Standard raised and garrison ready, it’s time to earn your keep just as soldiers would have done in 1346. You’ll be shooting to win hand-made silver coins, which you’ll need to keep very carefully, as they secure your passage through the day. Your weapon will be a hand-crafted Medieval longbow, loaded with arrows skilfully made using traditional methods and materials.
Fear not if this is your first time with a long bow. All novice Medieval recruits will be taught how to handle, load and release arrows. As your aim improves, you’ll be shooting at targets pitched at longer distances, showing you just how powerful these Medieval weapons were.
And indeed, Medieval soldiers of 1346 would have been trained to go into battle. Fierce and bloody to the death, the very best archers made formidable opponents on the battlefield. Thankfully there’s no such call to arms today, but you will go through a re-enactment of a typical military campaign to show you just how a Medieval battle would unfold - including firing arrows at the pesky ‘enemy’.
All that fighting for King and country is hungry work, so these unique archer days include a Medieval meal for lunch. Great hunks of bread and a warming pottage, which, if you’ve earned your reward, will include meat and maybe even some pepper seasoning! And whilst the Mead has been shunned for tea and coffee, your beverages will be served in Medieval-style cups!
These 1346 archery experience days are highly recommended for anyone who is curious about Medieval life. You’ll learn lots, be entertained and have plenty of Medieval archery target practice too.
• Available on selected dates during Spring, Summer and Autumn, subject to availability
• Book early to avoid disappointment, we recommend booking at least 4 to 6 weeks in advance
• Minimum age 8
• Under 16s must be accompanied by a participating adult
• Participants should have a good, general level of fitness
• Spectators are welcome
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• You may form a group of up to 12 people
• This is an outdoor activity so please dress appropriately for the time of year and weather conditions. Be prepared to be exposed to the great British weather
• All equipment and necessary PPE is provided.
• Chelmsford, Essex