• Join the master brewers to brew 5 different beer recipes
• Learn about the journey of beer from stalk and bine to frothy pint
• Sample a selection of fine beers brewed in London
• Beer tasting throughout the afternoon
• Take home 8 bottles from the shop stock (up to a maximum value of £25) or a brewing starter pack
• You will form part of a group of up to 15 participants
• Experiences last between 4-5 hours
What Can I Expect
There’s definitely something brewing in the arches of the London Beer Lab! This funky community brewery opens its doors to hold regular beer brewing and tasting workshops, with the intention of showing you just how easy it is to make your own beer, even with no prior experience (other than drinking the stuff, that is).
Tucked away behind a residential street in Brixton, you’ll find the London Beer Lab in a converted railway arch. Downstairs are the bottle shop and brewing supplies section, along with tables and a bar area that has a couple of nice draft brews on tap, ready to be tasted. Upstairs is the nerve-centre of this beer brewing laboratory. The head brewer has a wealth of recipes at their disposal, with all the necessary ingredients to hand. After selecting the brews for the day, you will then take part in the beer-making process.
Despite looking like tea urns, the Braumeister vats that the London Beer Lab uses are really quite fancy. They are automatic and computer-controlled, to pretty much ensure you can’t make a bad batch of beer. As long as you follow the recipe and add in the hops and malts at the right time, your batch of London-made beer is going to taste good.
Of course, you probably won’t have such high-tech brew vats at home, so the London Beer Lab team is always up for chatting about and giving advice on home brewing using commonly available domestic kit. It’s also really useful to learn all about the different malt and hop options, which is what makes each finished beer different - and these brewers know all about that too!
Once the brew’s on, attention turns to tasting the in-house wares, as well as beers from neighbouring London brewers such as Late Knights and By the Horns, with the likes of some very nice imported Belgian beers too. Having quenched your thirst with beers from London and beyond, it’s time to get back to the lab to tend to your brews for the final steps in the brewing process.
At the end of your brewing and tasting day at the London Beer Lab, you have the choice of taking home eight different bottled beers from the shop, or you can opt for a starter kit that’ll get you on the road to brewing five litres of your own beer at home. This open-source, community brewery in the heart of London is a great place to talk, drink and make beer with self-confessed ‘beer geeks’!
• Selected Sundays at 1pm throughout the year (a minimum of once a month)
• Occasional Saturdays or midweek dates may be available during busy periods with varying start times
• All dates are subject to availability
• Minimum age 18
• This experience is not suitable for spectators
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Food can be ordered but is not included (delivered by a local restaurant)
• Workshops take place on a first floor without life access, therefore not suitable for wheelchair users
• There may be some moderate lifting (optional)
• Beers will be made using malted barley (gluten) and beers during tasting sessions also contain gluten (gluten free alternatives are not available)
• Brixton, South London SW9