• White Water Raft Adventure on an Olympic standard course
• You will be kitted out by the team with wetsuits, wet boots, helmets and buoyancy aids
• Learn the basic skills and safety elements of rafting
• Paddle across the lake and complete the activity assessment
• Your raft guide who will help you navigate the drops and eddies of the rapids
• Please allow at least 3 hours on site for this experience
• Rafts can accommodate up to 9 participants and the instructor
What Can I Expect
Take on the Olympic-sized rapids on these Lee Valley white water rafting sessions! This is where canoe slalom events were held during the London 2012 Olympic Games. It has now been transformed into the Lee Valley White Water Centre and it’s open to everyone who fancies making a bit of splash in the fast-moving flow!
Before you can go rafting in the Lee Valley, you’ll undergo an assessment. That’s because these are grade 4 rapids, making this Hertfordshire white water centre one of the most challenging courses we’ve got on the books. Let us talk you through your rafting day at Lee Valley.
First is getting kitted out. As this is Hertfordshire (and not the Bahamas), you’ll get a wetsuit, wet boots and buoyancy aid to keep you warm on the rapids. You’ll listen to a safety briefing talk on dry land and then you’ll carry out basic essential white water rafting drills that you’ll need to be able to go out on these Lee Valley rapids, out in the water on the lake.
These exercises include things like working together in the raft to shift bodyweight and adopting the ‘down’ position on the floor of the raft. You’ll then have a short swimming assessment, where you’ll learn to lie on your back with your feet up and pointing downstream. After that, there’s just time to have a go at catching and using the line to get back to water’s edge…
Now it’s Raft o’Clock and you’re off, riding the white waters of Lee Valley with your comrades and onboard guide. It’s exhilarating, fast-paced and gallons and gallons of fun out there. Anyone coming along to watch can hang out at The Terrace Bar & Café, which boasts a funky design and great views of the white water course.
Located just outside the M25 between Cheshunt and Waltham Abbey, Lee Valley white water rafting takes place within the River Lee Country Park. As well as top-notch water sports, there are loads of other activities in and around the water, from children’s play areas and farms, to a winter ice rink. So paddles up and enjoy your Lee Valley white water rafting day out!
• Choose from a standard voucher valid for use on weekdays or to include Sunday availability opt for the peak voucher
• Vouchers are not valid for use on Saturdays
• Sessions are available between March and November
• Minimum age 14
• Under 18s must have a parental consent form signed by their legal parent/guardian
• Maximum weight 18 stone
• Spectators are welcome to come along and watch the action
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• There are onsite food outlets where food and refreshments can be purchased with great views of the course
• On site kids play area and the beautiful nearby River Lee Country Park
• Beach & Play Park and Disc Golf Course pay on the day activities are available to enjoy, subject to availability
• Lee Valley White Water Centre, Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire
• Conveniently located near the M25 Junction 25 & 26
• Just 40 minutes from Central London by train, closest stations are Waltham Cross or Cheshunt