Two Hour Kayaking Session
• A welcome and safety briefing before getting in the water
• Introduction to the basic techniques of kayaking
• Sessions are run by experiences BSUPA instructors
• All specialised equipment is provided, including buoyancy aids
• You will form part of a group of up to 6 people
What Can I Expect
Go kayaking in Gloucestershire and have a pleasant paddle out on the waters of a rather special place! It’s the perfect chance to give the ever-popular paddle sport of kayaking a go.
Not far from the Welsh border at Chepstow, you’ll find Tidenham Quarry. After being mined for limestone, the big hole was flooded and the lake was created in 1996. By 2003 it had become a centre for watersports. Nowadays there’s an expansive programme of activities both on land and water, a superb cafe and restaurant called The View, on site camping and good changing/shower facilities for guests too.
Looking out from the man-made pontoons, it’s certainly an impressive site, with steep, rocky sides and trees overhanging at the top. This quarry is big and the water is an incredible colour, almost an azure blue. Hard to believe you’re actually just off the A48 near Chepstow rather than kayaking along somewhere rather more tropical!
We have to say, there’s a knack to kayaking, but one of the centre team will be dockside to get you started. In a kayak you sit up straight, with your legs stretched out in front of you and your feet pressing against the foot supports. You’ll also be shown how to hold the paddle. Simple as it sounds, this is often where beginners go wrong, as there is a front and back and a top and bottom to a paddle!
Get it right and you’ll find with each stroke you power rather efficiently through these calm quarry waters and off you go on a tranquil little kayaking adventure of your own.
We are offering two hour sessions kayaking at this Gloucestershire centre. You can buy individual vouchers, or go for a family pass, which is valid for two adults and two children. It’s a great place for all the family to get active and get out on the water kayaking together - with the reward of a stop off at the View restaurant with panoramic vistas of the quarry afterwards!
• Selected weekdays and weekends between April and October
• This experience takes place in all weathers
• Minimum age 5
• Under 16s must be accompanied by a participating adult
• Family tickets are valid for 2 adults and 2 children
• Spectators are welcome
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Wetsuits are available to hire or you can bring your own
• National Diving & Activity Centre, Chepstow, Glouc NP16