• Learn or improve your kayaking skills then progress onto moving water
• All Equipment is provided
• Tuition from a qualified coach
• Excellent location with different types of water
• Suitable for beginners, sessions are tailored to you
• You may form part of a small group of up to 6 participants
• Half day and full day sessions are available
• Other related water sport experiences are available on our main
canoeing and kayaking home page.
What Can I Expect
Kayaking North Wales - take to the water with an exhilarating half or full-day experience based in the lovely Llangollen area of North Wales. As well as expert coaching geared towards your level, you get the added bonus of beautiful surroundings too.
Your kayaking session is set on the picturesque waters in and around the River Dee, against the scenic countryside backdrop of North Wales. The lesson begins with registration and provision of all the equipment you will need, including buoyancy aid, safety helmet and kayak to suit your height and build.
Each group will be led by a qualified instructor who will give a full safety briefing and demonstration of the equipment before you get afloat. The tuition will take place on a calm stretch of the river or nearby canal section, so you can concentrate on developing your technique without fear of being carried off on the current!
You will gain knowledge of how to control your kayak, as well as learning the basic essential flat water skills, including paddling forwards and backwards in a straight line, turning around, moving sideways and stopping.
When your instructor has finished the basic control skills and the theory of the capsize drill, it is time to kit you out, ready to head off onto the river for your kayak adventure. Soon you will be out there on the Dee, exploring the open water. Here, you will have the chance to put your newly acquired skills to the test on the moving white water (don’t worry, they’re not gnarly rapids, but they are brilliant fun!).
All the instructors are passionate and enthusiastic, they love to paddle and they love teaching others how to paddle too. As your confidence on the water grows with time, by the end of your kayaking lesson in North Wales you’ll even be up for a few games of kayak tag to round things off!
• This experience is available all year round, however please note availability may be limited during winter months (November - February)
• Half days typically start at 9am and 1pm, lasting about 2.5 hours, with 2 hours on the water
• Full day sessions start at 9:00 and finish at 16:00
• Minimum age 8
• Under 18's need to be accompanied by a participating adult
• There is no upper age limit
• Maximum weight 18 stone
• Pregnant women are not permitted to take part
• You do not have to know how to swim, but you need to be confident in moving water
• Please note a minimum for 2 vouchers must be purchased for full day experiences
• Family and friends are welcome to spectate from the canal side for flat water kayaking
• There is a Cafe on site as well as a large outdoor area overlooking the river
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• You will need to wear trainers or walking boots
• Bring a towel and a change of clothes
• There are changing rooms and showers at the venue
• River Dee, Llangollen, North Wales