• Drive a BMW i8
• Welcome, introduction and safety briefing
• Tuition from a qualified ARDS Instructor
• Personalised driving certificate
• Choose from a 3 mile blast or 6 mile thrill
• Please allow around 1.5 hours on site for this experience
What Can I Expect
Take the BMW i8 for a blast and get a taste of the future of motoring! This incredible new hybrid car from BMW sets the standard for 'green' driving into the next decade, even though it looks nothing like what you might think an environmentally-friendly would be like...
Let's face it, you wouldn't think the words hybrid and BMW would ever be seen together, but since showing off the concept car in 2009, the i8 has grown into a full production car that, unsurprisingly, won Car Design of the Year in 2014 when it was unleashed onto the public.
One thing's for sure, as soon as we clapped eyes on the i8, we realised that BMW had completely blown the image of electric cars being small and just a little bit eccentric out of the water. The BMW i8 is most definitely a pioneering member of the saintly supercar category.
So it looks the part, but how does the i8 drive? Well, it is surprisingly agile and thanks to be four wheel drive (the electric motors driving the front two, the petrol one driving the rear) it has superb handling too. But there's a definite trick to getting the most out of this car…
BMW has come up with three driving modes for the i8. Electric mode gives you a range of about 20miles using solely your lithium-ion battery pack. Comfort mode is ideal for motorway cruising and uses both, but it doesn't recharge the batteries. However, select sport mode and not only do you get a hybrid car that drives like many a petrol-only supercar, you get one that charges the onboard battery pack at the same time!
So the harder you drive, the more it charges and as a certain Clarkson quipped: "If you get booked for speeding you get a thank you note from Greenpeace", so you can drive like a you're on the Monte Carlo rally without any fossil-bruning fuel guilt. Result!
These sessions in the BMW i8 are a blast. You'll be able to take this amazing car out for a serious drive on a circuit where you will be able to put that intriguing sport mode to the test for yourself. We have to agree with BMW - the i8 really is a vision of the future in one very fancy hybrid supercar. If you want to pitch electric against turbo power, try our BMW i8 vs Mclaren MP4 -12C experience!
• Choose a weekday only or to include weekend availability opt for the anytime voucher
• Experiences are available from February and December
• Dates and session times are subject to availability at your chosen location
• Minimum age 17
• Participants must hold a full, valid driving licence
• Minimum height 5ft
• Maximum height 6ft 6ins
• Maximum weight 19 stone
• Drivers must be able bodied and any medical conditions that may affect driving ability must be disclosed at the time of booking
• Spectators are welcome to come and watch at all venues for no additional charge
• Disabled access may vary depending on location
• Children must be supervised at all times
• Pets are not permitted at any circuit
• Toilets, viewing areas and refreshments are available at all venues
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Optional excess damage insurance can be purchased upon booking your date or on the day
• Specific car availability may be subject to change due to mechanical or operational factors
• In cases of extreme weather i.e snow, fog or ice experiences may be re-scheduled for safety reasons
• Comfortable shoes with thin soles are recommended
• Current available locations, subject to change
• New London Circuit, Aldershot
• Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground, Leicestershire
• Carver Barracks Circuit, Essex
• Dunsfold, Surrey
• East Midlands Heritage Circuit (based at Donington), Derbyshire
• Three Sisters Circuit, Wigan (weekdays only)
* Premium circuits available for a supplement payable when booking your date
• Brands Hatch, Kent - Weekdays only *
• Oulton Park Cheshire - Weekdays only *
• Knockhill Racing Circuit, Fife *
• Donnington Main Circuit, Derbyshire - Thrills and Weekdays only *
• Castle Combe, Bristol*