• An open cockpit gyrocopter flight
• 30, 60 and 90 minute flights are available
• Lesson time includes 5 minutes for taxiing
• A pre flight briefing with introduction to gyros and how they fly along with an explanation of the controls
• An opportunity to take the controls during flight
• A flying suit, helmet, gloves and radio comms are provided
• Opportunity to view the extensive gyrocopter collection in the hangar and museum
• Plenty of time for questions and answers
What Can I Expect
Did you know the epicentre of all things gyrocopter is in York? Well, just a few miles west of York city centre you’ll find Rufforth Airfield. And it’s also here you’ll find one of the most renowned gyrocopter training centres in not just the York area, but the whole of the UK. It’s a veritable academy of autorotation here.
This Yorkshire operator offers so much more than just great gyrocopter experiences. There’s a showroom where the latest gyrocopter on sale will be on display. And then there’s the museum, dedicated to all things gyrocopter (including a collection of traditional gyrocopters) and the small cinema will be showing a number of gyro related segments of films. The hangar has a rather impressive fleet of aircraft too, with an example of almost every factory-built type of gyrocopter housed here.
What’s so fun about these gyrocopter experiences is that you’ll get to see all this as part of your day out discovering this thrilling form of sport aviation. Your experience will begin with an introduction to gyrocopters and how they fly along with a tour of the hangar and museum. Having checked out everything landside, the moment will come for you to get dressed up in your aviator gear (remember this is open cockpit flying after all!) and get airside to meet your gyrocopter.
You’ll be flying in something like a Rotorsport MTO-Sport or a Magni M16C. Both are industry-leading gyrocopters that can often been seen taking off from Rufforth, giving student pilots their first taste of this very special kind of rotorcraft flying. Of course, you won’t be riding high in the sky on your own, one of the centre’s expert flying instructors will be piloting the gyrocopter.
If you opt for the 30 minute taster flight you’ll stay local, but what a local area it is, with all of beautiful York to discover from the air. On the 60 minute session you’ll head out to the countryside a bit more. And the creme-de-la-creme is the 90 minute gyrocopter experience that’ll see you take off from Rufforth and head off on a themed flight. That might mean a cruise over the famous dams, swooping over the atmospheric Moors, whizzing up to Scarborough, or flying down to the Humber Bridge.
There are lots of possibilities when you take a flight in gyrocopter from York. And as well as all the fabulous sightseeing, you will also be invited to have a go at the controls of gyrocopter. This really is open cockpit gyro flying at its best, but if you think you might prefer the closed cockpit version, that can be arranged too (with a small supplement payable locally).
• Flights generally take place on Saturdays throughout the year
• The main season operates between March and October with less frequent dates available during the winter months
• All flights are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Minimum age 16
• Maximum weight 16 stone
• You need to be agile enough to get in and out of the gyrocopter
• No previous flying experience is required
• Front seat experience is at the instructors discretion
• Please seek medical advice if you have previously suffered a heart condition or other medical complaint such as back or neck problems
• This experience is not suitable for pregnant mothers
• All participants must complete an information sheet and waiver prior to flying
• Spectators are welcome
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Participants should wear comfortable outdoor clothing and closed-toe footwear
• Enclosed cockpit flights are available for an additional charge payable when booking your date
• Rufforth Airfield, Rufforth, York