Two Launch Experience
• Two winch launch lessons each providing 5-10 minutes of flying time
• Tuition in a dual controlled glider from a qualified instructor
• Opportunity to take the controls and fly the glider under instruction
Half Day Course
• Four winch launch lessons each providing 5-10 minutes of flying time
• Gain a greater understanding of Gliding and progress your skills with more hands on flying time
• Depending on your progress you may be able to handle elements of launch, circuit and landing
What Can I Expect
Experience the delights of silent flight with a session of gliding in Surrey! Ride the thermals and take in the picturesque local sights of the towns and cities in amongst the fields throughout the area of Surrey. Conveniently placed inside the M25 and with easy access from London, we think this gliding school is a perfect choice for those in the capital and the southern counties.
Gliders soar using the same air currents that birds use to fly. The first successful piloted glider flight was way back in 1891 by German brothers Otto & Gustav Lilental and at the beginning of the 20th century the Wright brothers designed and flew many gliders. Nowadays, experienced cross country pilots at this gliding airfield in Surrey have achieved flight distances of more than 600 miles and achieved heights of nearly 40,000 feet.
Aerotows and winches are the most popular launch methods used by glider schools. This gliding club at Kenley offers winch launches, which involves being attached to a wincher with a long reel of wire. You and your qualified instructor will be taken to heights of up to about 1000ft and when the cable is pulled in, the glider gets the speed to fly before the cable is released and you soar the skies piloting the plane under expert supervision.
The club is at the historic Kenley Aerodrome, which was opened in 1917 as a fighter squadron base, and it has to be said, the airfield is bursting with history - including Hurricane and Spitfire missions departing day and night during WW2, to its complete ruin under enemy fire. Things are, thankfully, a lot calmer today. The Surrey airfield now plays host to the only gliding club within the M25 and is also home to the Volunteer Gliding School for Air Cadets Flight training. No more murmur of Merlin engines, just the sound of the winches as you launch off in either the slender winged and streamlined body Grob, or Schleicher two seater dual-control gliding trainer planes.
It's up to you whether you choose two or four launches for your gliding. Surrey from the air is bound to take your breath away and we think this is a truly uplifting sensation as you get airborne without the noise of a propellor or motor. You’ll be soaring the skies, catching the thermals and exploring the sights of Kenley and the surrounding Surrey countryside from a rare birds eye view, for the the ultimate free flying experience.
Gliding experiences are offered Monday to Friday, weather permitting, throughout the year
• No flights on Bank Holidays
• The minimum age is 13
• Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult on the airfield
• Maximum height 6'2"
• Maximum weight is 15 stone
• Spectators are welcome to come and watch
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• All instructors for gliding experiences are British Gliding Association approved
• Depending on the length of each flight your total allocated flight time may be met with fewer launches
• Kenley Aerodrome, Surrey
• The gliding centre has easy access from London and the South East, with access from Junction 6 of the M25