One Aerotow Flight
• An aerotow launch to 2000ft
• A safety briefing, explanation of the aircraft and its controls before being strapped into the cockpit
• You will then enjoy the view as you are towed by a tug plane up to the release altitude and soaring for approximately 15 minutes
• Your instructor will demonstrate the controls before letting you have a go at flying the glider yourself
• Allow one hour on site for this experience
Half Day Flying Course
• Try out both gliding launch methods
• One aerotow launch and one winch launch
Full Day Flying Course
• A day course is a cost effective way of gaining more airtime and allows you to enjoy a full days instruction, it includes more detailed briefings, one aerotow launch and up to three winch launches
experience days are available from IntotheBlue, try using our Find Experience search tool on our home page
What Can I Expect
Gliding in Kent has a very long and proud history, with hundreds getting airborne to soar over of the Garden of England through the years. Located on the crest of the North Downs between Charing and Challock, this lively and energetic club in Kent is a great place to learn the graceful art of gliding.
This Kentish club is is in fact believed to have been the first gliding club to be formed in England on the 4th January 1930. Of course, there was no time for leisurely pursuits such as gliding during the second world war, but the enthusiasts got together again and reformed in 1956 with a renewed zest and vigour. The club has migrated all over the county, but gliding in Kent finally settled at its current location in 1961, continuously developing and upgrading the facilities and fleet to remain up to date and modern.
A very dynamic club, it has an excellent club house and briefing room for budding glider pilots and for the 150 active members, has seven twin seat gliders and around 30 BGA approved gliding instructors. There are 20 tug pilots on the books to keep the club gliding seven days a week in summer and every Wednesday and at weekends in winter too. With the mild climate of Kent it's perfectly possible to glide all year round.
Many have said that gliding offers the best views of Kent and the coastline. In fact, on a clear day you can look out of one side of the cockpit and see the Thames Estuary, Whitstable and into Essex, whilst from the other side of your glider it's the views of Ashford, the Kent coastline and perhaps even France that'll have you utterly enthralled as you take a slow, graceful 360 degree turn to take it all in.
We are offering introductory taster sessions, half days or one day courses in gliding at this Kent club. If you opt for the taster, you will enjoy one aerotow flight, being pulled into the air by a Piper Pawnee tug plane, leaving you to soar high above the cliffs like a giant seagull and your ride back to the grass runway. The half day experience gives you two flights and lets you try both aerotow and winch launch methods.
On the full day session you will become part of the Kent gliding family for a day. See the 'log cabin' that gets towed out to the launch area (and acts as mission control on flying days), meet the members, have a chat and generally immerse yourself in the world of gliding. Your intensive day gives you an aerotow and three winch launches, where you are hooked up to the cable, the winch takes up the slack and you're away rumbling and bouncing over the grass for what feels like just milliseconds before you suddenly lift away and everything goes quiet…save for the sound of the wind whistling.
• All flights are subject to suitable conditions
• Seven days a week from April to September and weekends all year
• Weekday flights have much better availability than those at weekends
Half Day Course
• Selected weekdays April to September
• Morning and afternoon sessions are available, 8am-1pm & 12 noon-5pm
Full Day Course
• Selected weekdays April to September
• Sessions start at 8am until 5pm
• Minimum age 14 years
• Maximum weight limit is 16 stone
• Maximum height is 6'2" (1.88m)
• You will have to sign a health declaration, however, if you are fit enough to drive a car, you will be able to fly in a glider
• Suitable arrangements can be made to overcome most disabilities
• Spectators are very welcome to come and watch the gliding fun
• There is a large clubhouse selling refreshments, snacks and hot meals all day on Wednesdays and weekends, picnic benches and tables providing great views
• If you are travelling long distances to try gliding in Kent or want to take advantage of the hospitality at the clubhouse, basic rooms are available to hire
• You are also welcome to pitch a tent in the fields adjacent to the clubhouse
• Shower and toilet facilities are provided
• The club has wheelchair access and disabled toilet facilities
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• All 30 instructors at this glider club in Kent are BGA approved
• Lunch is not provided, so participants should either bring a packed lunch or food can be purchased from the clubhouse on the day
• Kent, the gliding club is north of Ashford
• The location provides quick and easy access from both the M20 and the M2