• Climb aboard the footplate of a historic steam locomotive for a steam footplate experience
• Join the crews operating the locomotive on one of the scheduled passenger services
• The highly experienced engine crews will answer any questions you have whilst pointing out points of interest during your journey
• The footplate ride covers 11 miles, lasting between 60-70 minutes
• Experiences also include all day travel along the Churnet Valley Railway
What Can I Expect
Ride upfront on a footplate experience in Staffordshire and see what the track looks like from the working end of the train! This fabulous package gives you the chance to climb up onto a fully-restored steam-powered locomotive and ride on the footplate with the driver.
Observe just what it involves to get a historic steam train all stoked up, on the move and trundling along the Staffordshire track with the plumes of steam swirling around you.
You really are quite literally in the hot seat on these experiences, as you stand on the footplate and watch the overall-clad train crew shovelling coal into the furnace, expertly working the levers and opening valves to power up and move these wonderfully solid machines. Expect heat, noise and lots of steam too, as the loco chugs into life and heads off on its journey along this superb rural heritage train line.
The Churnet Valley line gives you 11 miles of valley views, as you rumble through the likes of Consall station, which is right next to the canal and the river. Then there's Kingsley & Froghall stop, with its delightful Victorian tearooms on the platform.
And you will be amazed at just how different everything looks from the very front of the train as you look out from your very privileged spot on the footplate - quite an exhilarating experience!
As you won't actually be taking the controls on this footplate experience, you'll have more time to enjoy the viewpoint of the open locomotive and you'll be able to watch, observe and understand what all the jobs involve. The crew is sure to explain how everything works and show you how it's done - without you having to get your hands dirty!
Don't forget to being your camera along to capture the moment you had the chance to stand on the footplate of a steam train on the Churnet Valley Railway!
• Selected dates throughout the year
• Due to popularity participants must book a date for their experience within 6 months of purchase
• Participants must be physically and mentally fit and be over 18 years of age (if over 70 years please contact us to discuss suitability)
• Recipients will need to bring their own overalls (preferably cotton) and wear sturdy boots (preferably steel toe capped)
• Do not wear anything flammable such as football shirts or tracksuits made of polyester
• Participants should not consume any alcohol before or during their experience
• You will need to advise the railway if you are taking any medication that may have a side effect caused by exposure to excessive heat or cold draughts and if you are in any doubt of your suitability to take part you should contact your GP
• Spectators are welcome to come along and watch the departure
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Does not guarantee that trains will depart as stated and reserves the right to cancel or alter any trains without prior notice and change the motive power for whatever reason. No liability for loss, inconvenience or delay can be accepted
• The railway has award winning tearooms serving a variety of food and drink
• The supplier cannot guarantee the specific departure time of trains and reserves the right to cancel or alter a train in the case of mechanical issue
• Churnet Valley Railway, Staffordshire
• Experiences depart from Kingsley & Froghall Station, Stoke on Trent