Half Day Fly Fishing Lesson:
• The experience lasts around four hours
• Kitting out, learning to cast and fishing from the bank
• All equipment is provided
• Exclusive small group activity
Ultimate Fly Fishing:
• A full day of fly fishing lasting around seven hours
• A morning of casting from the riverbank
• Lunch at the fisherman's lodge
• An afternoon of fishing from a motorboat on the south shore introducing more advanced techniques
• On both experiences all the gear you need to fish is included and Rob will be tutoring you throughout the session
• All group sizes are kept small
What Can I Expect
Go to Rutland Water fishing and enjoy lessons with top fly fisherman Rob Waddington at his home in Rutland on the shores of one of the worlds greatest fresh water fishing lakes! We think this has to be a rather fine way to pass a gentle few hours out in the countryside.
These full and half day courses are geared to your needs, so if you've already had a go and want to brush up on your fishing techniques it's a great opportunity to learn from a local Rutland Water expert. Similarly, if you're a complete beginner and never even picked up a rod before, you'll be casting out onto the calm waters like a pro by the end of your lesson.
Rob Waddington is no stranger to fishing - he has been fly fishing for most of life. He has been fishing in England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Russia for trout and salmon and has great experience in all types of angling. He has lived and fished on the north shore waters of this pretty Rutland reservoir now for over 10 years and when conditions permit, fishes at some time every day.
The huge lake measures 3,500 acres with a 26 mile perimeter, but Rob can inform you with his local Rutland knowledge of the best spots on the water to fish and methods to catch trout. There are some big fish here, Rob's best so far is a 7lb 12oz Rainbow trout caught just outside his house and there's even a plaster cast of it on display in the dining room! He has also caught pike to 24lb on the fly whilst fishing from a boat on the North Arm of Rutland Water.
On the half day session you'll be learning all the skills needed to take up fishing as a hobby including casting. This is a skill that when demonstrated by an expert looks so easy and effortless, but when you first try it seems so difficult. However, with a little patient guidance you should have the basics sufficiently mastered to start fishing from the banks of this wonderful Rutland Water lake, watching your line curving across the water and gently deposit your fly on the very spot under which you suspect your trout to be lurking.
The full day experience follows the same itinerary as the half day and then adds in a tasty lakeside lunch, followed by an afternoon of fly fishing from the middle of Rutland's finest waters as you head out in a small motor launch. During this session you'll be shown more advance techniques and hopefully be getting the hang of this flying fishing lark!
These Rutland Water Fishing lessons have just won a 'Silver Award for the best Tourism Experience in the East Midlands'. Another superb gift voucherexperience for men available now from IntotheBlue.
• Courses are available from April to November and run seven days a week
• Timings are flexible and depend on the time of year
• All equipment is provided and there are no special requirements
• These fly fishing lessons in Rutland aren't really for spectators, but there is plenty to do in and around Rutland Water from cycling (mountain bikes can be hired locally) to bird watching at the well known reserve on Rutland Water
• There is much more of local interest and the school will help with advice when booking
• Bed and breakfast is available at the school, located in a stunning position on the shore of Rutland Water
• There is also the five star Barnsdale Hall Hotel and Country Club just 100 metres from the school
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• The Lodge is on the North Shore of Rutland Water in the East Midlands, between Leicester and Peterborough