• Educational and informal bird of prey demonstration
• Plenty of photo opportunities
• Allow up to two hours for this experience
• You will be part of a group of up to 15 participants
• Vouchers are valid for either of the following experiences
Bird of Prey Experience
• Opportunity to handle and fly a variety of Birds of Prey including hawks, falcons, owls and an eagle on the glove
• Handle and fly a variety of owls to the glove
• Owls flown may include; Siberian Eagle Owl, Brown Asian Wood Owl, Indian Eagle Owl, Woodfords Owls, Vermicular Owls, Barn Owls and Tawny Owls
What Can I Expect
It's the best of the east when you try falconry in Peterborough! These two-hour sessions give you a great introduction to the sport of falconry with plenty of opportunity to meet, handle and fly lots of different species of birds.
Charlotte and her dedicated team put on falconry shows and displays that wow hundreds and hundreds of spectators every year. These small group experiences allow you to get up close to these magnificent creatures in the wonderful setting of the Orton Hall hotel, a spectacular country hotel set in a 20-acre woodland estate just east of Peterborough.
As you might expect, the birds are very much part of the family. Each one is lovingly cared for and every bird taking part in experience days or displays loves to show off their skills. They do all have their very own character and it's fascinating to see how the relationship between falconer and raptor works.
Ruby the Tawny Owl is friendly and responsive and you’ll instantly recognise her ‘twit-twoo’ sound. Blue, the Chilean Blue Buzzard Eagle is a true star in the arena and loves a crowd. Jerry the Kestrel has amazing hunting capabilities, including a very special talent (we won’t tell you what it is here!). Havana the Siberian Eagle Owl is a true beauty and very photogenic, but also a formidable hunter. And who could forget Cardhu, the very rare female Eastern Chanting Goshawk. She’s acrobatic and very vocal too, hence her name!
Whichever humans and feathered members at this Peterborough falconry centre you get to meet, you’re sure to learn a lot and all in a fun and informative way. It’s all very hands on too, so you will be donning your falconer’s glove and calling raptors to your hand in a fine display of flying prowess. There’s no need to decide now whether you prefer an owl or a birds of prey experience - buy your voucher and decide when you book in!
• Selected weekdays and weekends throughout the year, subject to availability and weather conditions
• Sessions operate at 10.30am-12.30pm, and 1pm-3pm
• Minimum age 10
• Under 17's must be accompanied by a participating or spectating adult
• Spectators are welcome for a £10 fee payable on the day
• Children under the age of 10 are free but must be accompanied by an adult that has purchased a spectator pass
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Orton Hall Hotel & Spa, Peterborough
• Set in 20 acres of conservation parkland and conveniently located close to the A1