• Choose from a half day experience lasting approximately 3 hours or a full day lasting around 6 hours
• Welcome, introduction and lots of information about the birds of prey
• An aviary visit with opportunities to hold the birds
• Fly the owls and Falcons as well as going on a short Hawk walk
• The full day gives you additional time with the birds and a light lunch is included
• You may be part of a group of up to 6 participants
What Can I Expect
Handle a variety of raptors on a half or full day of falconry in Herefordshire! This centre is in a small village near Ross on Wye in lovely Herefordshire and offers a fascinating insight into the world and work of the falconer, as well as giving you plenty of time to hold and fly the birds too.
Your experience is hosted by Mike Hill, a young head trainer and manager full of enthusiasm and passion when it comes to caring for and training his birds, as well as wildlife and conservation, so if you want to see birds in action flying free, this Herefordshire home for falconry is a great place to visit.
What makes these experiences special is the amount of hands on time you'll get with the birds and the fact that group sizes are kept small to ensure a rich and involving experience for all. The programme for the half and full days is the same for the morning, starting with a tour of the aviaries at the centre. You’ll also be able to handle some of collection of birds and have photos taken with them sitting peacefully on you hand. You'll hear all about how both indigenous and exotic predatory birds lives side by side here at this Herefordshire base and the falconry team has hand-reared many a bird since they were chicks.
Having met a fair few of the feathered friends who reside here, you will get to see a training bird having a practice session out on the training lawn, observing how birds interact with their handlers. At this point you'll also get to have a go at flying one of this Herefordshire centre's owls, under the watchful eye of the falconer. You might even get to swing a lure for a falcon!
The half day falconry sessions in Herefordshire conclude with a short hawk walk, where you'll follow a meandering brook to witness these amazing birds happy and flying in their natural habitats. After this, those on the full day course will take a break to get your beaks into a bit of lunch (included in the price), before embarking on the afternoon session which gives you more bird flying and handling time.
On the day you'll meet the likes of Rolo the regal Barn Owl, Dexter the clumsy Tawny Owl, Revel the cuter than cute Snowy Owl, Rocky and Basil the fast-flying Harris Hawks and Fox, the keen-eyed Peregrine Falcon, to name but a few. We think falconry in Herefordshire is a perfect choice for all the family!
• Experiences operate on selected weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• Half day sessions run from 10am-1pm
• Full day sessions start at 10am and finish at 4pm
2 for 1 Special Offer
• Available on selected weekdays throughout the year
• Upgrades to include weekends are available for an additional £20 per person payable when booking your date
• This activity is excellent for those who wish to experience and learn first hand the wonders and joys of falconry
• Suitable comfortable clothing and footwear should be worn due to the outdoor nature of the experience
• Due to the quiet and special nature of this venue only one spectator is allowed at a charge of £10 for the half day and £15 for the full day payable locally (full day guest passes include a light lunch)
• Spectator limitations are required to avoid overcrowding and to ensure your experience more individual
• Refreshments can be found in abundance in the nearby local town of Ross on Wye
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• This activity is available to small exclusive groups on selected dates throughout the year by arrangement
• In the beautiful countryside at Llangarron, near Ross on Wye