• All sessions are usually run in small groups of 4-5 participants
• Birds used include Peregrine Falcons and Harris Hawks
• The centre is not open to the public so your experience is exclusive
• Receive a certificate and as a memento of your day
• Refreshments are included
Half Day Experience
• Experience the thrill of flying hawks and time permitting also an owl to the glove
• Take part in the training of the falcons, often including a Peregrine
• Experiences last approximately 3 hours
Full Day Experience
• In addition to the half day activities you will also receive additional time flying the birds
• An introduction to the history of the sport and the different species of birds
• Learn about the basic feeding, training and management of Birds of Prey
• Lunch break (lunch is not included so please either bring a packed lunch or visit one of the local pubs)
• Experience last approximately six hours
Please visit the main falconry section for information on larger falconry groups or even 1-1 falconry days.
What Can I Expect
Enjoy either a half day or full day falconry course in Gloucestershire led by expert falconer Ben Long. Ben's fascination with birds of prey started in the early 1970s and since then he has become one of the leading falconry experts in the country. Ben loves to impart his in-depth knowledge of raptors and the sport of falconry, so you'll learn lots on these informative and fun falconry courses.
Just five minutes' drive from J12 of the M5 finds you deep in the Gloucestershire countryside on a large estate near Hardwicke. From here, Ben will guide you around the 'weathered' birds - that's to say the birds are tethered to their perches outdoors, where you'll learn about the history and background to each of the species presented.
The full and half days offer you the chance to handle and fly these domestically bred, but still wild at heart birds of prey, including the world's fastest creature the Peregrine Falcon - a rare privilege indeed. You will be shown what looking after these birds of prey involves and you will be treated to assisting with birds being flown from swinging lures and from lures suspended hundreds of feet in the air, tethered to kites or balloons.
Those choosing the full day falconry course will benefit from extra time flying the birds so you can start to feel a real affinity with the birds, as you walk out with ‘your’ falcon on your arm. All in all it’s a truly magical experience that all the family will enjoy.
It has to be said that Ben doesn't open up his collection to the general public, so these small and intimate group falconry courses in Gloucestershire are the best way to get up close and actually be able to handle all types of raptors with a true falconry expert.
• Selected weekend and weekday dates throughout the year
• Half days run from 1.30pm to 4.30pm (1-4pm during winter months)
• Full days run from 10am to 4pm
• Dates are subject to availability and weather conditions
• There is no minimum age
• Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult (Spectator fees apply)
• Spectators are welcome to attend for a small fee payable on the day
• There are toilets on site as well a classroom providing falconry items of interest, educational dvds, tea/coffee and a lunch area
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• This private falconry centre is located on a country estate in Hardwicke, Gloucestershire with easy access from the M5, J12