• Allow approximately three hours for this activity
• Introduction to your experienced instructor and the birds
• Flying Harris Hawks to the glove
• All equipment is provided
• Refreshments will be provided
Ultimate Half Day Bird of Prey Experience
• In addition to the above:
• Fully guided tour of the collection
• Fly up to six species of birds including Eagles (Bald or Chilean)
• During summer months you may also have the opportunity to meet the hooded vulture
• All equipment is provided with plenty of flight to glove hands on experience
What Can I Expect
Meet hawks and a flock of other majestic birds on our courses in falconry at Dorset’s friendliest birds of prey centres! Operating all year round from the principal venue at Lewell near Dorchester, makes for a superb day out for all the family.
You will be met for these birds of prey in Dorset experiences by owner, Martin Ballam, who is hugely experienced when it comes to raptors and other birds. From hand rearing and incubation, to veterinary and rescue work, Martin has many years of professional falconry work all over the country. Now settled in Dorset, Martin is a passionate falconer who has a way with words that'll keep you completely enthralled, as you meet the likes of Jade the Red Tailed Hawk, Ginny the Northern Goshawk and Fudge the Ferruginous Hawk, as well as the Harris Hawks Jazz and Mabel.
You can choose a half day falconry experience in Dorset, or go the whole hog with the Ultimate experience for true avian aficionados. The half-day starts with introductions followed by an informative explanation on how to handle these magnificent birds. Once everyone is at ease, you'll head out into the open countryside of Dorset and be shown how to get a hawk to swoop in and land on your gloved hand - a truly stunning experience you'll never forget.
Choosing the Ultimate experience means you get a more in-depth insight into the life and work of a falconer, flying up to six different species of bird. The session includes meeting the raptors, a centre tour, a demonstration as to how to handle the birds and an explanation of what training a bird of prey involves, all presented in a way that's fun, engaging and interesting for all ages. A highlight is meeting one of the star Eagles. Kojak is a Bald Eagle (so called because they are 'piebald', i.e. black and white in colour) and Konnie is an agile and buoyant Tawny Eagle, who’ll win you over instantly.
Whether you’re an avid bird lover or new to this feathered world, you’ll love these fun, hands-on falconry experiences in the stunning county of Dorset. If you’re going on holiday in the area, why not book a falconry experience to enjoy whilst you’re there?
• Throughout the year on selected weekend and weekday dates
• The ultimate experience is available on selected weekdays throughout the year
• You can upgrade to a weekend date for the ultimate experience for a fee of £25 per person, payable to the venue
• Minimum age for standard half day is 14
• The minimum age for the ultimate half day is 18
• All participants must have a good general level of fitness
• Suitable outdoor clothing and footwear should be worn
• Guests are welcome
• A half day guest pass is £20
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• You may form part of a small group of up to 4 participants
• If you would prefer an exclusive experience this can be arranged for a small additional charge with the venue
• All experiences are weather dependant and may be rescheduled if weather conditions are unfavourable
• Lewell, Dorchester