• 30 minute sightseeing flight in a 1946 ex-RAF de Hallivand Devon aircraft
• Spectacular views over Central London
• Large window per guest for great photo opportunities
• You will form part of a group of up to 8 passengers
What Can I Expect
Enjoy a London vintage pleasure flight in a wonderful de Havilland Devon! These vintage airliner flights will show you all the best of the capital in the most nostalgic way possible. This is a very special plane and one that has certainly earned its place in the aviation history books, as the aircraft that revolutionised passenger air travel after the war.
These vintage airliner flights are operated out of Kent’s Headcorn Aerodrome, using a de Havilland Devon. The Devon is the military version of the commercial airliner the de Havilland Dove. This particular plane is a shining example of a ex-RAF Devon. Having been built in Hawarden Chester in 1946, she immediately entered military service as VP981 and was posted to RAF Hendon.
A very well-travelled Devon, there followed several years of service at Fontainebleau in France as the private transport for the Air Attaché and for the Commander of Allies Forces. Returning to the UK in 1966 for stints at RAF Andover and RAF Northolt, she was (very carefully) put into storage in 1975. In 1985, a new career took off as crew transport for the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, based at RAF Coningsby, before finally being retired from military duties in 1998.
As an ex-military Devon, she is now revelling in the fact that she is now flying a range of civilian vintage pleasure flights, including this one over London. In just 15 minutes, you’ll be within range of all those landmarks buildings and sights of the capital. Unlike today’s jet airliners, the vintage Devon affords every passenger a large window, so wherever you are seated in the cabin, you’ll get a great view of London.
Resplendent in her authentic Royal Air Force Transport Command colours, seeing the de Havilland Devon sitting on the tarmac at Headcorn is truly a sight to behold. With her distinctive domed cockpit and tall windscreen, it really gives the Devon a distinctive and characterful face!
A proper beauty from the humble beginnings of commercial air travel, not only do these London vintage pleasure flights give you the chance to see the capital from the air, you get to do in some serious style.
• Flights take place on Saturday afternoons and Sunday mornings between April and October
• Dates and flight times are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Minimum age 6
• Under 16s must be accompanied by a participating adult
• Spectators are welcome to come along and watch the take off and landing, with excellent views of the runway and aircraft
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Free car park and picnic area
• Food and drink can be purchased from the onsite restaurants
• Headcorn Aerodrome, near Ashford, Kent