• Exclusive fly fishing experience
• Learn or improve on your fly-fishing techniques, with expert tuition from an experienced guide
• Your guide will teach you about the kit, setting up the tackle, fly casting and all other aspects of the craft
• The river is stocked regularly with Brown Trout and there is a healthy population of wild fish
• All fishing equipment and permits are included
• One fish per person may be taken home, if caught
• Choose from a 2 hour lesson for one or two people or the 3 hour lesson for two people
What Can I Expect
Fancy a bit of fly fishing on Cowdray Estate? Here's your chance to fish at this quintessentially English country estate in West Sussex. It's a true delight to visit Cowdray and we’ve got two hour and three hour fly fishing lessons on the River Rother for you, with everything you need to get casting off included.
Cowdray is certainly impressive. Renowned for its gardens, grounds and parklands, it’s reputation as an events venue is second to none and includes several working farms, sports and holiday cottages too. It’s also the home of English polo and has a lovely golf course. But did you know the Cowdray Estate also boasts a private three-mile stretch of the River Rother? The Cowdray Fly Fishery beat makes for the perfect spot for a relaxed fly fishing session.
Fly fishers love this stretch of the River Rother that flows gently through the heart of this West Sussex country estate. As well as the wild Brown Trout and occasional Grayling, the estate team stocks the river with Brown Trout, so your fly fishing experience on this private section of the River Rother is bound to bear fruits.
The estate ghillies look after flying fishing at Cowdray, with the season running from April until September. Season, weekly and day tickets are available for accomplished anglers, but we’ve put together these special packages specifically for those who don’t have any fishing gear or don't want to lug their own kit to Cowdray. All the equipment you need is provided for you and you have the expertise and local knowledge of the ghillies to guide you too.
If you’ve never even held a fly fishing rod before, let alone landed that beautiful 4lb Brown Trout, these fly fishing experiences on the River Rother also include tuition. Your hosts will show you what to do, will explain which flies to choose and why (perfect if you don’t know your dry flies from your wet flies). They know this beat better than anyone and they are veritable fountain of fly fishing knowledge and know-how. And our top tip? Fly fish Cowdray late afternoon for the most stunning backdrop.
• Selected weekdays and weekends between April and September
• Dates and session times are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Minimum age 10
• Under 18s must be accompanied by a participating adult
• Spectators are welcome to come along and enjoy the river scenery
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Suitable outdoor, comfortable clothing should be worn
• Sturdy, lace up waterproof boots are recommended due to the uneven ground and long grass
• Drink and refreshments can be purchased prior to the experience from the meeting point at the golf club
• The River Rother near Midhurst, West Sussex