• Introduction to the horses and safety briefing
• Observe the horses being 'put to' the original Barouche carriage
• Enjoy a 45 minute open air carriage ride along country lanes
Carriage Riding Experience for Two
• A Chilled bottle of champagne* is provided for you to sip on the ride
• Choose the picnic option and you will also be taken to a private and secluded clearing to enjoy a luxury hamper packed full of local produce
• You will have sole use of the picnic area for the day so can relax and enjoy the surroundings
Family Carriage Riding Experience
• Experiences are for a family of four
• A glass of champagne* is provided for adults to sip on the ride
• Luxury picnic is provided in your own private picnic spot
• You will have sole use of the picnic area for the day
• Children can meet and pet the friendly goats in 'goat corner'
* During winter months warm mulled wine or cider can be provided instead of champagne. Warm fleeces and hand muffs are provided and a fire pit is available in the picnic area
What Can I Expect
It’s all about original-style horse power on these carriage rides! It’ll be a fairytale day out for you when you take to your very own horse drawn carriage and go gently trotting around the gorgeous West Sussex countryside.
Your ride will be taken in a beautiful restored 19th century Barouche open carriage. Back in Regency times, keeping your own carriage like this meant that you were definitely a ‘man of means’, as many a Jane Austen character would remark. After all, it’s not just the actual carriage that such wealthy gentlemen would have to buy, it’s the cost of having coachmen, outriders, the groom and, of course, the fine pair of steeds to pull your Barouche too!
Back to the 21st century and this gleaming Barouche certainly still looks the part, with lovely polished brass lanterns and gorgeous grey leather seating. It’s even four wheel drive, in that there are four large equal-sized wheels, powered by the sheer muscle in the flanks of these sturdy Welsh Cob cross Percheron horses.
Before you set off on your carriage ride, you’ll be able to watch the horses being ‘put to’ and spoil them with some nose rubs so you can introduce yourselves. These fine specimens love clip-clopping their way around the tranquil paths on the perimeter of the farm they know so well, so it’s time to climb aboard, pull the super soft blanket over your legs, snuggle up and enjoy the 45 minute ride.
Those on the Carriage Ride for Two will be presented with a bottle of bubbly to sip on as you tour the lanes in your horse drawn carriage. For an extra special touch to your outing, you can add the picnic, which gives you a hamper full of sumptuous local goodies that you’ll be able to enjoy at a secluded little picnic spot the horses (guided by their drivers!) will take you to.
There’s something for grown ups and children on the Family Carriage Ride Experience. As well as the ride out, the adults get to sip a flute of Champers, whilst the kids get to meet the fun and energetic goats on the farm and all of you will enjoy that lovely picnic, with cake and a treat added just for the little ones.
And although the carriage rides with the adorable Tommie and Charlie in the reins are the main event, we have to give a mention to the picnic. With cured meats, fresh bread, home made pork pies and even a flask of tea or coffee, we can’t think of a better accompaniment to reflect the grace and elegance of riding in a horse drawn carriage!
• Weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• Rides are available between 9am and 4pm
• Experiences are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Maximum total combined wight in the carriage 40 stone
• Participants must be physically able to climb in and out of the carriage, steps can be provided if required
Carriage Experience for Two
• Minimum age 18
Family Carriage Experience
• Minimum adult age 18
• No minimum or maximum child age
• Spectators are welcome to watch the departure
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Near Forest Row, East Sussex