• A day course learning how to brew craft beer at home
• Information, tips and guidance from an experienced brew master
• Learn about the brewing process and bottling
• Refreshments through the day including a Ploughmans lunch
• All ingredients, equipment and recipes
• You may be part of a group of up to 18 people
What Can I Expect
Hop to it with these pint-sized brewing courses and learn how to make beer the artisan, handcrafted way! If you’re a fan of real ales, then these sessions will show you how to brew up a beer in the comfort of your own home using fresh ingredients and the best methods for success.
The brewing course is run by the “Beer Meister” Paul Taylor, a beer connoisseur with many years’ experience working for Murphy and Son, suppliers of ingredients to many UK microbreweries. He’s also a beer judge (which surely ranks as one of the best jobs in the country?) and certainly knows his stuff when it comes to homemade draughts.
Run in association with the renowned Hartwell’s of Bakewell, a top artisan food and drink crafts school in the heart of the Peak District, Paul’s courses demonstrate what beer brewing is all about, as well as learning what equipment, ingredients and techniques are required to produce your own home brews for friends and family to enjoy supping.
The course itself covers both brewing and bottling techniques to enable you to produce and store your handmade beers, including ‘sparge and boil’ methods. Everything you need is included on these courses, so ingredients and tools are provided – though you’ll have to purchase your own if you intend to continue developing your brewer’s skills at home.
You’ll also leave with a number of recipes to experiment with in your own time, developing the flavours and depths that match your tastes and which will make your beers stand out from the crowd. The sessions are a world away from the old 1970s home brew kits and offer a real opportunity to develop your skills in brewing – and tasting – your very own ales.
If you’re someone who relishes a crisp, smooth, handcrafted beer, then our brewing courses are the perfect way for you to develop your skills as a microbrewer and experience the fermented fun that home brewing offers the true beer lover. Book yourself a place on this top class course and take the delights of draught beer back your own kitchen, to be enjoyed for years to come.
• This course is available on selected dates at the weekend throughout the year
• Course times are 9.30am - 4.30pm
• Suitable for total novices who want to brew their own
• Ideal grounding for people who are considering setting up their own microbrewery
• Minimum age 18
• Loose comfortable clothing should be worn with sensible footwear
• This experience is not suitable for spectators but there are plenty of things to do in Bakewell itself and in the surrounding area
• The venue is in the centre of the Bakewell on the banks of the River Wye with lots of walks nearby
• Bakewell has many attractions, shops and an award winning museum
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• At a converted mill in the centre of Bakewell, in the Peak District