• BORDA Standard Level Off Road one day driving course
• Designed for those who may use 4x4s in off-road areas of moderate difficulty
• Courses cover units 1-7 of off road driving and safety awareness
• Briefing on 4 wheel drive systems and instructor demonstrations
• Tuition on how to handle the vehicle competently and safely
• Refreshments are provided but you should bring your own packed lunch
• Courses operate on a 2:1 ratio with your instructor
• BORDA Standard Certificate will be provided upon successful completion of the course
• It is recommended you use your own car as this is the vehicle you will be familiar with, however choose the with car option and you will be supplied with a fleet car for the course
What Can I Expect
If you’re looking for proper 4x4 driver training, this BORDA accredited centre is the place to go! BORDA is the British Off Road Driving Association and these 4x4 training experiences follow their 'Standard' Level course itinerary to get you a certificated pass at the end of it all.
Set in the North Nottinghamshire countryside, this BORDA training centre is well-placed to offer official off road tuition. The site is pretty impressive, with over 40 acres of terrain, much of which has been made into purpose-built courses and trails dedicated to off road vehicles. Routes have been designed to offer everything from typical mild-level terrain that you find in the UK, to more extreme elements to show off what the vehicles can do.
The aim of this course is to get you proficient and knowledgeable in how 4x4s work and how you drive them in certain settings that involve mud, grass, snow and ice. Nothing too steep or extreme to begin with, as these sessions are all about getting you to really understand why and how the car reacts and, as the driver, what you should do.
It’s fascinating stuff. With highly-experienced BORDA certified drivers hosting, you’ll learn how 4x4 systems work (there are several different ones, with permanent and semi-permanent four wheel drive for example) and how to prepare the vehicle for going off road. It’s not simply a case of jumping in, ignition on and away you go. You need to be prepared, no matter how ‘gnarly’ your vehicle is!
Throughout your half day, you’ll cover units one to seven of the BORDA 'Standard' Level Course. The syllabus also includes the Safety Awareness Course which is essential for anyone planning to go offroading recreationally or in the line of work. If it all goes well, you’ll leave with your BORDA certificate.
For this 4x4 driver training the operator recommends using your own vehicle. That’s because this is the car you’ll be most familiar with. Of course, it does need to be a suitable 4x4. You also have the option of using one of the training school cars, which are usually Land Rover Discoverys.
• Selected Mondays to Fridays throughout the year
• Dates are subject to availability and weather conditions
• A full manual driving licence is required
• Not suitable for spectators
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• There is a snack bar on site serving hot and cold drinks and food
• Suitable outdoor clothing and footwear should be worn
• Newark, Nottinghamshire